84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Only one fuel injector firing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only one fuel injector firing?

Hey guys, I know I'm going to get ripped on a little for having a 1983 celica and not a pup or 4runner while being on this forum but quite honestly, you guys know 22RE's while the other celica forums are much more knowledgeable about new celica models. Picture a 22RE from a 1984 pup in a car Anyway after the engine developed a miss on the 3rd cylinder at all rpm's I pulled the injectors only to find the 3rd completely clogged with rust. After a quick cleaning and balancing by witchhunter performance they came back looking and functioning brand new. I put everything back together and it ran great but it wouldn't idle so I started checking for vacuum leaks and found that their wasn't a good seal between the upper and lower intake manifolds so I re-split them this time putting a line of rtv on the new gasket. It now will hold a idle, but only running on one cylinder (yes, it can idle on one cylinder... it's a 22RE after all). I am truly lost on what to do, any and all input would be very much appreciated. I suppose I should also tell you guys that I deleted the EGR to clean up the engine bay using LCE block off plates, also the engine will only rev up to 3000-3500 with the pedal floored and it takes a solid 6-7 seconds to get that high. I figure this is because of it running on one cylinder but the more info the better. Also, the ground to the intake manifold has been cleaned and should be good. Thanks in advance for the help.

EDIT: Just tested with noid lights and cylinder 2-4 will make the light light up and glow darker and brighter as the fuel injector gets signal however if I put the light into the first cylinder injectors harness it doesn't light up at all. I'm so confused at this point and now believe theirs a chance it could be spark that's causing the problem. However what really gets me is that the fuel injector that goes to the only cylinder that's firing correctly is not lighting up? Shoot, this entire problem is throwing me for a loop. Now that I think about it I suppose the chain might have jumped a link forward, I'm not to competent when it comes to timing though and would need some advice on how to check and fix that if that's the problem. On the upside, from what I can tell the chain guides are in good shape

Last edited by celicamike; 09-18-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:32 PM

Sounds crazy, but are the connections for the injectors solid in the wire harness? What I mean is this... Start peeling back the tape/plastic from the wire harness near the injectors. About 8 inches in, there are 2 crimps, 1 connects a main wire to 2 injector wires, and the other crimp is another main wire to the other 2 injectors. These are known to corrode and seperate, causing injector(s) not to fire. A cleaning of the wires, and SOLDER of the joints is known to fix this issue. For now, while she idles, wiggle the harness around about 12 inches of where the injector plugs come out, and see if the idle changes for you. Good luck!
Old 09-19-2012, 08:02 PM

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to check and resolder this weekend. Will update with results.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:51 PM

I found the old thread from 7 years ago that I am referring to. Give it a read-over....

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...&Number=740084
Old 09-23-2012, 02:19 PM

Well I checked all the connections and unfortunately, they were in great condition I did make a video to post onto youtube which hopefully helps out. I really hope someone will be able to tell me whats going on. The exhaust note does sound a little bit like the engine knocking but it isn't, just the sound of no muffler. Anyway, ill post the link when it's up on youtube.