84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

How to install a clock

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Drama Queen/Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to install a clock

I just got a clock for my 85 PU. So how do I install a clock?

Sorry for the newbie question

BTW I searched and came up with nothing

TIA
Old 12-04-2006, 09:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ahhh, this took me FOREVER to figure out. Turns out, all the wiring is done for you, you just have to find it.

First question is: is this a factory toyota clock? As in, did you get it from toyota or out of another toyota?

If so, here is what you do:

First, remove the trim panel around your radio, and all that, take out the ash tray and remove all the screws, and remove that panel.

Next, remove all the knobs on your climate controls. There should be 4, just pull on them, they will come off.

Next, CAREFULLY work the climate control faceplate out of the dash. There are two tabs on the bottom, carefully push these up with your fingers. The tabs are inside, so you will be reaching behind the climate control faceplate to do this, from below, just above your radio.

Once that is out, you have a bit of a hunt on your hands. There is a small wiring harness in the general area of your radio. It is likely taped up, but what you are looking for is a small, 4 wire, square plastic plug. It is likely taped to itself to keep it from rattling. If all else fails, unscrew your radio, and pull it out slightly.

Once you have located the 4 wire plastic plug, untape it so it is free, and route it up next to your climate controls.

Next, punch out the square plastic insert that is in your climate control faceplate.

Finally, plug the square wiring harness plug into the back of your factory toyota clock, and BINGO, it works. You'll need one screw for the clock, pick it up at the hardware store.

This is a really cool fact i learned, that all first gen trucks and runners came with the harness for the clock built in, just not all came with a clock. Its pretty cool, i got it all hooked up in mine, and my clocks been keeping time ever since.
The following 2 users liked this post by AxleIke:
9volt (02-07-2022), stuwie77 (11-18-2022)
Old 12-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Drama Queen/Banned

Thanks got it in today.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

I did the same. bought a clock off somebody here and popped it right in.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good find folks!

Im old - and got my Gen1 4Runner new...

Mine had a clock but back in those days (list serv etc) people looking for a clock were SHOCKED to find that they were like $100 from the dealer....

Most people then went out and bought a batter operated travel clock and double stick taped it in place
Old 12-06-2006, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back in 95 I had a 87 toy 4x4 standard cab (NO FRILLS) and I went to salvage yard all the time on Saturdays and they got 2 wreaked trucks not even stripped yet. I got to them first and walked out with all I could fit in the back of my truck and 2 items were the clocks and it took my like an hour start to finish to install one of them. I had no idea back then it already had the wiring and to my surprise to find it just sitting there, I took the wiring from the clocks I removed thinking I could just run it from the fuse block and I was so thrilled to find connector and save time...I still have one of them left in case I ever go another std cab. The truck I have now is an SR5 so it already had one...If you ever need anything go to salvage yard first...That's what I do;}
Old 11-14-2022, 04:29 PM

OEM clock install causing stereo to turn on and off

Hey team, last time this thread saw action I was in high school….but today I got an SR5 clock from eBay, I popped the dash off my 1994 4WD DX base model and plugged it into the existing 4 wire connector. The clock turned on and work perfectly (awesome!). The weird thing is, now my stereo unit turns on about every 5 seconds and then turns off. I have a cheap Jensen stereo, it lights up and all.

I know the clock is running constant power to keep time, I’m curious if for some reason when it draws to keep time it’s turning on the stereo.

To make matters stranger. It seems to not do it all the time. I have been toying with it and sometimes if I put the key in and power everything up then shut it off it all turns off and stays off normal. Other times the stereo just keeps going on and off.

steve
Old 11-16-2022, 02:34 PM

Received 606 Likes on 428 Posts
Originally Posted by Steady7
Hey team, last time this thread saw action I was in high school….but today I got an SR5 clock from eBay, I popped the dash off my 1994 4WD DX base model and plugged it into the existing 4 wire connector. The clock turned on and work perfectly (awesome!). The weird thing is, now my stereo unit turns on about every 5 seconds and then turns off. I have a cheap Jensen stereo, it lights up and all.

I know the clock is running constant power to keep time, I’m curious if for some reason when it draws to keep time it’s turning on the stereo.

To make matters stranger. It seems to not do it all the time. I have been toying with it and sometimes if I put the key in and power everything up then shut it off it all turns off and stays off normal. Other times the stereo just keeps going on and off.

steve
I just threw out a Jensen that I had installed back in February. It was Shutting off and decided it didn't want to recognize the CD that was in it. Then one day it decided to eject that CD . I wouldn't put another in it. It also wouldn't read any music we had on a jump drive even though every other car stereo we had could. Plus it would constantly loose all presets. Part of the problem was a plug that I assume is original for negative, positive and the constant positive for the presets was not making a good connection. As to it not recognizing that CD I don't know. I guess Jensen isn't what it once was.