84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

header help

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 03:15 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Philbert
Hey Jason,

Funny, I actually had ordered both the header and pro flow at the same time, and had them both around until I had a chance to do the header (with my timing chain replacement over xmas). Stripped some stuff in my head and had to trailer it to a shop....just got it back last week and on Saturday started the Pro Flow Install.

Things were tricky - 2 hours into it I finally realized that they had sent me the WRONG kit - it was for a pickup. The only part in the kit that was the same was the Magnaflow muffler! Good news is, I called Monday and told them and they have the RIGHT one in the mail, and a return shipping label for the other kit....great customer service. Can't wait to get it hooked up this weekend!

If you haven't got the LCE catalog, it's addicting. I've had it for over a month and I can't put it down - so many goodies in there!

Hope your install goes well and you don't have to cut anything - are you going to weld the flanges or just use the clamps?

I am in the lining up process before I start using the slip fittings. I got the right exhaust, But I am now realizing I am gonna have to cut down the connector pipe from the header to the cat to get a "stock hanger" fit. Other then that , fairly smooth, just had to chase some threads here and there, the ceramic gummed up the holes a little bit.

And on the slip fittings, I got some permatex muffler and tailpipe sealer I will use.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Awesome Jason - take some pics if you don't mind?

Would be good to compare notes since we have the exact same truck.

How much and where did you end up cutting?

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2010, 05:00 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Used LCE and pacesetter. Both sealed and worked well. Pacesetter needed some high temp paint but for the price hard to beat.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:09 PM

Phil, I will measure up the cuts and let you know. And I have been taking some pics to appease BBP. Or he'll never believe it happened.

I ended up cutting the pipe between the cat and the muffler up near the muffler slip fitting, and I cut a little off both sides of the connector pipe so the bend sat over the crossmember.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used N.W.O.R. imo they are the best around and a little pricy but you get what you pay for. I dont even run an exhaust gasket. and it has the ball style flange so no gasket is needed there either. Truly just bolt on and go. this specific header ive owned for goin on 6yrs and have had it on three different trucks.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:01 PM

Phil, these are for you.

So I cut that slip fitting up high in the last pic about 3.5 inches.

On the header/cat connector I cut 2 off the front, and 3 from the back to keep the O2 sensor over the crossmember.

Everything went in well, no O2 codes running it around on a test drive. The rear slip fitting in the pic has a little leak, I will address it tomorrow when it cools down. Let me know how yours goes.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Banned

A good gasket is a must, too...If your header doesn't come with a gasket, I like Remflex gaskets. 50% Crush ratio, and I've never had one leak.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:10 AM

Talking Header Leaks

Cheap or expensive headers, its all about a flush contact point and a good gasket. When you pull it out of the box take a steel straight edge and lay across the area where your exhaust gasket goes on the header and if its uneven eventually the exhaust will blow through. To help stop this from happening you can take it to a Machine Shop and have them Plane it perfectly flat. Costs a little more but a few hours saved on redoing Exhaust Gaskets is a few hours more spent on the Trail.