84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Grease for knuckle/bearings etc...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Grease for knuckle/bearings etc...

I'm going to be putting back my knuckles and all that stuff soon, but I need to get some grease to pack all the appropriate stuff.

Molybdenum disulphide lithium base grease.

Sometimes it refers to this as a general MP grease and sometimes is says to use it specifically. Should I be concerned about a different kinds of greases or just get this and use it as a general MP grease (unless otherwise specified in the FSM)?
Old 10-27-2009, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to use a moly fortified grease for the knuckles (and trunion bearings, although opinions vary on this). You should not use this grease on the high-speed wheel bearings.

I like synthetics so I used Amsoil moly-fortified synthetic for the knuckles and trunions bearings and Mobil 1 (red) synthetic for the wheel bearings. Many people use the Valvoline moly-fortified synthetic for the knuckles as it can normally be found locally.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:18 AM

Which of the ams do you use? Not quite seeing one that states what you said. I use amsoil in my car and love the stuff, so I think I'll stick with them. Thanks for the help.

Also, how many tubes do you think should get the job done for both sides, with some to spare?

http://www.amsoil.com/a/Synthetic-Grease

Also, is this the stuff you are talking about for the wheel bearings?

http://www.amazon.com/Mobil-Syntheti.../dp/B00085F4JO

Last edited by live4soccer7; 10-27-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:22 PM

anyone know about how much of this I need?
Old 10-27-2009, 07:18 PM

Anyone know which grease to get to pack the knuckles? I want to get amsoil, but I'm not sure which to get.

http://www.amsoil.com/a/Synthetic-Grease

This is the last thing I need to order up.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:13 AM

Synthetic Heavy-Duty Grease NLGI #2.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ghd.aspx

6 tubes total will be enough to have at least 1 tube left over.

Yes, that's the correct Mobile 1. You wouldn't need more than 1 tube for the wheel bearings. You could also use one of the non-moly Amsoils as well such as:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/glc.aspx

Last edited by Wardamneagle; 10-28-2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:39 AM

Also, I've got one more question. The oil for the differential when I have to fill it back up. I'd like to get some ams as well. What kind and how much? I remember looking in the FSM before and it may have told me how much, but I wasn't sure on the specific kind.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:57 AM

Any of their 75W-90 or 80W-90 gear oils will work:

http://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-gear-oil

I use Redline Synthetic for the diffs and manual trans but I doubt that there's any reason not to use the Amsoil. Just to confuse things, I use Amsoil synthetic ATF for automatic transmissions and Mobile 1 for all the engines. Why? Even I don't remember.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn, really six tubes?
Old 11-01-2009, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Outsane
Damn, really six tubes?
No it doesn't take 6 tubes but I couldn't remember if 2 tubes per side was enough or not and he said that he wanted some left over. Maybe 4 or 5 tubes would have been a better suggestion.

Agree that the knuckles shouldn't be full. Pack the birfields entirely full and then fill the knuckles about 3/4 full or maybe a little less.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
well I guess I need three more tubes...

I only got two tubes of Amsoil NLG1 #1
Old 11-01-2009, 10:10 PM

Just curious, but why do you use redline over anything else. It seems you are pretty set on it. I've heard the MT is great for trannies, but I'm just wondering your point of view on it. Maybe I'll switch over from ams (it's what i've used in my car tranny, diff and engine).
Old 11-01-2009, 10:18 PM

personally i use marine grease for everything and never have a problem, iv replaced and removed too many birfs and droped the diff soooo many times if found it not worth it to use speacial synthetic greases and oils or even fill the knuckles, i bought a 5 gallon bucket of gl-5 and use that in all my drivetrain.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Outsane
well I guess I need three more tubes...

I only got two tubes of Amsoil NLG1 #1
You need NLGI #2 (multi-purpose for the wheel bearings and moly-fortified fortified for the knuckles).

Originally Posted by live4soccer7
Just curious, but why do you use redline over anything else. It seems you are pretty set on it. I've heard the MT is great for trannies, but I'm just wondering your point of view on it. Maybe I'll switch over from ams (it's what i've used in my car tranny, diff and engine).
I guess I have read too many recommendations for Redline synthetic in manual transmissions, transfer cases, and differentials to ignore. Again, I don't think you can go wrong with Amsoil or Mobil 1 products either. FWIW, I haven't seen it recommended for automatic transmissions. I used Amsoil ATF in my Land Cruiser transmission but it was a toss up between that and Mobil 1.

Last edited by Wardamneagle; 11-02-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:36 AM

good information thanks
Old 12-09-2009, 12:10 PM

Well, I was getting ready to wrap up the project today and just realized I used moly-fortified synthetic on the wheel bearings!!!! SOB. I'm guessing I'm going to have to go back and clean everything really well and put the Mobil 1 (red) synthetic in it's place.

Any opinions? I'm going to have to reuse the oil seal on the larger bearing. I can remove it without damaging anything. Any helpful tips on cleaning the bearing of the moly grease, since they are packed pretty darn well?
Old 12-10-2009, 06:33 AM

You need to change it. Moly fortified grease isn't good for high speed wheel bearings; at least not according to everything that I've read.

I would clean them in diesel followed by brake cleaner. I would then use lots of compressed air to dry them out before repacking them.

Good luck.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Wardamneagle
You need to change it. Moly fortified grease isn't good for high speed wheel bearings; at least not according to everything that I've read.

I would clean them in diesel followed by brake cleaner. I would then use lots of compressed air to dry them out before repacking them.

Good luck.

Edit: The trunion bearings are fine with moly so don't bother with them.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:01 AM

damnit!!! I knew that was going to be the answer. Should be a real pain in the a**. Thanks for the suggestions on cleaner and stuff. It's only about 5 degrees here, so it ought to be fun.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:29 PM

SOB!! That took forever to clean all that crap. Set me back about 6 hours on the project. I was about to about 5am cleaning and reassembling that stuff. Well now it done and I can move on to the next task. I also painted the hub dials red again. Just used some spray b/c it's all I had and would be much better than what was already on there.

Quick Reply: Grease for knuckle/bearings etc...