84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

GM Alternator Upgrade Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GM Alternator Upgrade Questions

Hey all,

I am preparing to upgrade my dying stock alternator with one of the GM alternators. I'm open to any of the 10SI, 12SI, and CS130 alternators.

I have found a guy selling an unused CS130 alternator for dirt cheap. The only problem is that it has the 5 groove pulley. I can't really get to the guy to do any hand-on comparisons. He will mail me the alternator should I buy it from him. Can someone please tell me the best way to go about getting around this?!

It would be great if I could swap the pulleys without any cutting, etc. but I'm sure the likelihood of that is very slim. Should I just keep shopping for an old GM with a V-belt pulley? If so... anyone with any info on which cars these came in would be much appreciated.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
http://www.extreme4wheelin.com/tech/...ators/tech.htm

http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml

I'm going to use a CS130 the first link list the differences and which ones have a single groove pulley. I'm just going to buy mine from autozone for the lifetime plus i want the 100-105 amp output. The second link has a lot of information and explains the 1 wire verses the 3 wire. Pirate has the how to on the external regulated toyotas, don't have the link though but its on the faqs believe OCDZ has a link on the upgrade posty. May budy had a single wire in his, had to stop running optimas has they don't tolerate the overcharge from the single set up.

All gm alts are interchangible pulleys but not fans.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:46 PM

Thanks for the info! I think I'll have to get this one with the 6-groove and find a v-belt pulley to swap on. That was the info I needed. It's a killer deal... there's a dealership who wants to downsize their 105A CS130 inventory. They're selling em for $40.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:19 PM

Good price, read somewhere that its better to use an impact to brake the pulley bolt loose, as the guy had seen many jacked up ones when done with hand tools.

Just got the word today that the brackets on the way. So I'll be putting one on myself.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:15 AM

Lots of progress has been made. The bracket is installed, and my pulley should arrive tomorrow. I've been reading on the wiring and I would like clarification from someone who knows..

The Toyota OEM has 4 connections: L, B,S,IG
The GM CS130 has 4 -- the (+)POS battery, and on the harness I have S,F,L,P

From what I have read, S is connected right onto the alternator itself using a ring connector, L goes to L of the OEM harness, and the other 2 are ignored.

Is that correct!?!

I realize I should use 4ga. wire to the battery... I just need some reassurance on the other connections
Old 11-03-2009, 07:05 AM

I just got the bracket but haven't done anything with it yet but unpack the box.

Here's the wiring of a v-6 oval plug denso to cs130. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hlight=OOP%27S
Old 11-04-2009, 08:21 PM

I see that some wire the sense to the main bat cable but you can also use the factory sense as well, can't find anything that says one is better than the other. Any one have experience or links to information?
Old 11-07-2009, 11:29 AM

Ok... the conversion is complete and I LOVE IT! Lights are nice and bright, and everything is good. For anyone wanting a quick reference here is what I did:

GM - Toyota

S - White
F - Red
L - Yellow
P - N/A

I went to Home Depot and picked up about 8 feet of 4 Ga. wire, some 4 Ga. ring terminals, and some PVC tubing. At Auto Zone, I grabbed a 175 Amp fuse. I wired the battery just like this post:

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.co...%20Project.pdf

Now a question for all you techs out there.... Every so often the lights will flicker a little. Also, after I had washed out my engine compartment, a friend said they briefly saw sparks jumping from the 4 Ga. Home Depot wire to the body sheet metal. I've checked the insulation, and all is good. Do I need to keep it further from the body? I really don't think it would be grounding out through that insulation, but I'm open to opinion....
Old 11-07-2009, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oooo my lord !!!!!!
why are you going to put a gm alt in toyota?
get a camry 3vz-fe alt plugs are the same you just need to modify your alt damper to fit the camry alt.it will fit with your stock brackets!!!!!!!
and by the way check my mercury villager fan swap post!!!!!
good luck!!!
Old 11-07-2009, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by sploople
Ok... the conversion is complete and I LOVE IT! Lights are nice and bright, and everything is good. For anyone wanting a quick reference here is what I did:

GM - Toyota

S - White
F - Red
L - Yellow
P - N/A

I went to Home Depot and picked up about 8 feet of 4 Ga. wire, some 4 Ga. ring terminals, and some PVC tubing. At Auto Zone, I grabbed a 175 Amp fuse. I wired the battery just like this post:

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.co...%20Project.pdf

Now a question for all you techs out there.... Every so often the lights will flicker a little. Also, after I had washed out my engine compartment, a friend said they briefly saw sparks jumping from the 4 Ga. Home Depot wire to the body sheet metal. I've checked the insulation, and all is good. Do I need to keep it further from the body? I really don't think it would be grounding out through that insulation, but I'm open to opinion....
Sweet post You will need to upgrade all three grounds wires in the main charging loop, not just alt to bat. Neg to block and body to block. On the wiring, I've tried to keep mine clean and safe. I use the wire tubes, you know the plastic tubes that are split then a lite wrapping of tape. I've seen somewhere that for auto you want as multi strand wire over solid core. Insolate/ isolate your connection and make sure their tight and a good connection.

Do you got a line on anymore cs130 alts for that sweet price?
Old 11-07-2014, 07:36 PM

will this upgrade work for a 86 22r as well? and i need a repost of the wiring diagram my alt is the original and it still works but the slip rings are wore halfway through so sooner rather than later it will have to be replaced.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by greaseball
will this upgrade work for a 86 22r as well? and i need a repost of the wiring diagram my alt is the original and it still works but the slip rings are wore halfway through so sooner rather than later it will have to be replaced.
Yes, I have an 86
Old 02-04-2015, 10:06 AM

wiring diagram

Originally Posted by greaseball
I was following you chat ...did you ever get that wiring diag you asked for ...Im doing a 84-22R.