84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Front Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Brakes

I am about to put the larger brakes on my 85. I have looked at the various kits from vendors and also chatted with guys with other combos of the larger brakes. I have never heard of anyone doing any newer brakes like I have been measuring and figuring on. I spent a couple hours with a friend at a parts store and have concluded I am going to put 94 4runner V6 Rotors and Calipers on my 85 4runner. The 94 4runner has a thicker rotor than the 94 truck, both with V6's.

Does anyone know any reason this would not work? I am going to go ahead and order some 1 inch wheel spacers. Anyone have any reason to believe that the 1 inch spacers will not be enough to clear the rotors? Thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 03:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have done it...

Front calipers from a v6 work great , I needed some wheel spacers..
I don't think that the Rotor size is any larger though

Info from Pirate
Brake Rotor Swap – Vented Front

Some folks like to swap out their solid rotors for vented rotors. This is a simple and somewhat inexpensive modification. I did this swap because my brakes were getting very hot and making some very annoying noises. If you can change your brakes you should not have any problem with this swap.

79-80 toyota mini axles -> Rotor bolts onto hub with 6 bolts and the wheel studs are pressed into the hub only. For Land Cruiser vented brake swap you must use 79-80 LC rotors.
81-85 toyota mini axles -> Rotor bolts onto the hub with 2 bolts and the wheel studs are prasses through the hub and is pressed into the rotor. For the Land Cruiser vented rotor swap you must use 81+ LC rotors. Uses Toyota 90942-02053, Dorman #610-264 or Napa 641-3126 wheel studs.

The Landcruiser rotors are wider because they are vented but otherwise fit right on with no other modification besides the need to run a IFS caliper.
The caliper comes in two flavors... one has two larger pistons and two smaller, and another has four pistons that are the same size. The ones with four large pistons would technically give you more braking force. I used the same pads because mine were still fairly new... so you don't need new pads unless yours are low.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Outsane
I have done it...

Front calipers from a v6 work great , I needed some wheel spacers..
I don't think that the Rotor size is any larger though

Info from Pirate
Brake Rotor Swap – Vented Front

Some folks like to swap out their solid rotors for vented rotors. This is a simple and somewhat inexpensive modification. I did this swap because my brakes were getting very hot and making some very annoying noises. If you can change your brakes you should not have any problem with this swap.

79-80 toyota mini axles -> Rotor bolts onto hub with 6 bolts and the wheel studs are pressed into the hub only. For Land Cruiser vented brake swap you must use 79-80 LC rotors.
81-85 toyota mini axles -> Rotor bolts onto the hub with 2 bolts and the wheel studs are prasses through the hub and is pressed into the rotor. For the Land Cruiser vented rotor swap you must use 81+ LC rotors. Uses Toyota 90942-02053, Dorman #610-264 or Napa 641-3126 wheel studs.

The Landcruiser rotors are wider because they are vented but otherwise fit right on with no other modification besides the need to run a IFS caliper.
The caliper comes in two flavors... one has two larger pistons and two smaller, and another has four pistons that are the same size. The ones with four large pistons would technically give you more braking force. I used the same pads because mine were still fairly new... so you don't need new pads unless yours are low.
When holding the calipers of the 94 4Runner against the 94 PU, both V6, the 4runner calipers had a noticeably wider gap for the rotor to roll through. That is why I believe the 4Runner Rotors are THICKER, not larger as in diameter. You are talking about using LC rotors. Is there any reason the 94 4Runner Rotors won't work that you know of?

Last edited by CAPTDASH; 02-23-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:11 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I believe those calipers are too wide for the LC rotor. Not sure what year is the cutoff on what calipers you need but I think it's 92.

:wabbit2: