84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Before I drill... 4runnner to pickup seats swap.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before I drill... 4runnner to pickup seats swap.

Before I drill, I just had to ask. I picked up a couple of first gen 4Runner bucket seats yesterday and planned to put them in my 84 pickup. I pulled out my old bench seat and put in the drivers side bucket first. All the holes lined up like they should.

When I went to put the passenger seat in, I ran into line up issues. The front two holes lines up great, however, the rear two hole were almost 2.5 inches off. The brackets on the 4runner buckets are 12.25 inches from hole to hole. The trucks original holes are around 15.5 inches from hole to hole. I looked for additional holes that might have been plugged off and didn't see any. Before I start drilling more holes to put in new bolts, I thought I would check to see if anyone else had run into this and might know something that I am missing.

I searched last night and from what I can tell, the 4Runner seats should line right up. I just wasn't sure if I had missed something like an adjustable bracket or something.

Thanks for tolerating yet another seat question, but I just had to ask those more experienced than myself before I just started drilling.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:05 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
4Runner passenger seat would slide forward so the rear mount points are not located the same.

4Runner and pickup seats are not a direct swap on the passenger side.

:wabbit2:
Old 03-02-2011, 05:17 AM

Thanks Wabbit. Time to break out the bits.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:06 PM

Changed my mind and went with the 93 Prelude seats and added a center console. Much more comfortable now...

I also went ahead and swapped in the SR5 cluster. The new oil pressure switch/sending unit was a pain to locate. Thankfully a store in the next town over had one for me. The temp gauge works, the truck was just cold when I took the pics.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:45 PM

I just swapped some Celica seats into my '88 mini by fabricating brackets. I used 2x2 square tubing for the rear (welded the "feet" of the Celica sliders to the 2x2, then some plate to the 2x2 into which I drilled holes to match up the stock mounting holes). What did you do about the seatbelts? I reused the originals by incorporating the seat mount and the seatbelt mount into one. But ideally, you use seatbelts meant for the bucket seats. I'm not wild about just drilling holes in the floor. If you don't use something to spread impact load out over the sheetmetal, you might be eating your steering wheel and windshield in an accident. Or worse. Take a look at the underside of the floor to see how the factory did it. BTW, the Prelude seats look sharp.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:04 PM

I was able to remove the Prelude belt off the seat itself and add the original bench seatbelt on to it. The belt attaches directly to the seat and not the floor. The Toyota belt is so much beefier than the Prelude. I did have to trim about 1/2 inch of plastic molding (bolt cover) in order to get the Toyota belt clip strap to fit right and still use the Prelude molding, but it has nothing to do with structural safety. You can't see it anyway since it sits against the center console. The Prelude seats are much better than the old bench, plus with the console, I now have 4 cup holders!!
Old 03-15-2011, 07:25 PM

What is the center console out of?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had the same set of seats in my 87 pick up. loved them and going off roading was nice cause they hugged you as u go around corners...
Old 03-15-2011, 08:00 PM

Yeah, the seats do wrap you pretty comfortable.

The console is my walmart special. It's their van/suv console. Not the most secure console, but it set in their good with some trimming to fit the hump.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by acicomp
Yeah, the seats do wrap you pretty comfortable.

The console is my walmart special. It's their van/suv console. Not the most secure console, but it set in their good with some trimming to fit the hump.

Nice lol! I was thinking about getting that, I didnt realize how perfect it fits in there. I have some MR2 buckets in my rig, one of the best mods you can do as far as Im concerned.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:11 PM

do u have a problem with them feeling like u leaning back too much? in mine they did and i just got like 1inch or so of flat washers and lifted the rear to make it not feel as i was leaning back so far.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:00 PM

I'm not a fan of Honda's passenger cars at all, but DANG those Prelude seats look comfortable! Are they fully adjustable?

The keyed feature on the center console is nice! I remember I had an IGLOO ice chest that was a center console with cupholders... great place for beer on a long roadtrip up to camping. Too bad that didn't last long...
Old 03-15-2011, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by justin_4runner
do u have a problem with them feeling like u leaning back too much? in mine they did and i just got like 1inch or so of flat washers and lifted the rear to make it not feel as i was leaning back so far.
I wish mine leaned back further! I like being comfortable and reclined while driving.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:13 PM

the prelude ones sit laying back, im 6'2'' so i lean my seats back to have room but it felt weird sometimes like i was in a recliner when driving,
Old 03-15-2011, 10:15 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
That's nice looking....what year is your truck? Is it a manual? I see the 4WD shifter but whatever you have near it is blocking the view.

I wanted to keep my bench seat, but it's all jacked up and I'll have to reupholster it, so I might as well switch to buckets. I like that center console. I wonder if it's deep enough to mount my CB in...that would be a perfect spot for it, especially if it locks.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:02 PM

nice! i have a set of 01 prelude seats in my truck
i love mine,so much easier on my back
ignore the mess i was actually cleaning it out lol
Old 03-15-2011, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by justin_4runner
the prelude ones sit laying back, im 6'2'' so i lean my seats back to have room but it felt weird sometimes like i was in a recliner when driving,
I kinda like that feeling. I have a set of Camry seats I have been meaning to put in, but havent gotten around to it. They are extremely comfortable! They are really plush like a big recliner lol!
Old 03-16-2011, 03:14 AM

Being 6'2", I have them as far back as I can get them, just like I did my bench seat. My wife is quite a bit shorter and she likes them better because she can slide them forward and tilt them forward or back. So yes, they are fully adjustable.

I think you could mount a cb in the console, but that would also be depending upon how wide and big it is. If you get by a Wal-Mart, you can look at the console in the automotive department for a better idea of what you get. Honestly, it works for me, but I also know it's not a $150 console. Cheap and simple with some functionality. There was a small cubby compartment in the back of the console, but I had to trim it out to fit. No big deal because I couldn't use it anyways since it rests against the back wall. You can't see it from the top because the only trimming was on the bottom side to get it to fit over the hump.

While the pics of the old '84 aren't that great, there is plenty of room for shifter usage and cups, if the console is installed properly. (all the way back)

I added a couple of pics here in some better light. Still not great pics since it was about dark thirty outside this morning while I waiting on the bus for my son in the rain. He would rather sit in the truck and wait... A future Yotatecher...

Old 03-16-2011, 08:41 PM

nice,i was actually thinking about that center console,of course mine is a coleman cooler,but i'd like somthing a little bigger.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:01 PM

sorry to bring up thread from the dead...I did the same thing and boy these things are much more comfy than the og seats. 96 prelude seats. Easy install. $100

Quick Reply: Before I drill... 4runnner to pickup seats swap.