84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85 22re Drove fine for 1500 miles and today it want to miss and lose power

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 22re Drove fine for 1500 miles and today it want to miss and lose power

So i picked up an 85 efi 4runner and drove it to ohio from colorado, no problemo. today i got in the truck and it drove fine down my street, then when i turned on to the next street i noticed it took more throttle to go the same slow ass speed. once i got to the next street i was certain there was a problem and i decided i wanted to take my bronco instead.

Only by that time the truck decided it didnt want to drive. I let it sit in the street for a minute and started it back up. there was a noticable miss at idle and a few times the miss was so bad it would kill the engine. i was able to limp it to the lowes parking lot and was gonna call a tow truck to tow me home 0.6 miles.

only heres the weird part. once i got it to lowes and started up i noticed it was only missing at low rpm and i could rev it to the sky with no backfiring. After revving it for a while i noticed the truck seemed to drive around the parking lot better. so good infact, i said lets go to whitehall! While cruising on the highway, it cuts out, then cuts back in a second later.

right now that only thing i can think of is that it is fuel related so my plan was to change the fuel filter. i originally thought it could be ignition related, and it still could be, but the plugs, wires and cap appear to be recently replaced.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:21 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I would start checking the obvious and easiest things first.

Check oil and radiator for signs of a blown head gasket.

Check spark plug wires for proper connections

Check spark plugs for abnormal fouling.

Compression Check

Check the distributor's rotor

Check battery ground

Replacing the often neglected fuel filter is a good one.

Edit: Whats the mileage on the truck? Might be time to check the timing chain

Last edited by CNC85; 01-20-2020 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The first thing I would do is spray some carb cleaner along the intake gasket to see if you have a leak. If it revs up you have a vacuum leak.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CNC85
I would start checking the obvious and easiest things first.

Check oil and radiator for signs of a blown head gasket.

Check spark plug wires for proper connections

Check spark plugs for abnormal fouling.

Compression Check

Check the distributor's rotor

Check battery ground

Replacing the often neglected fuel filter is a good one.

Edit: Whats the mileage on the truck? Might be time to check the timing chain
im gonna check those things. I do know i have a slight vacuum leak at the booster as the car shakes slightly when im on the brake but clears up when i release.

mileage is 264k with a jasper motor put in 2010 according to the paper work. roughly 30k miles ago.

So yesterday and today i drove the truck too, heres what i found.

yesterday i let the truck come up to temperature, it died twice but the third time stayed running until warm. once warm i took it on a short test drive around the hood. no problems. then i took it on a 10 mile highway test drive. drove perfect till i came to my turn around exit where the engine cuts in power for a quick second and regains power. that happened twice in close time proximity.

10 mile drive back home, no problems except for about 4 seconds the check engine light came on, then went off.

how can i check stored and pending cels?
Old 01-22-2020, 11:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check your electrical connections, grounds and look for any wires with cracked or missing insulation.