84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

1986 22r ignition/alarm starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 22r ignition/alarm starting problem

Hello everyone. Great site. I tried a couple other forums, so I apologize if you've seen this thread already. I did a search and did not really find info on my problem, so I thought I would ask. Apologies if i missed a similar thread.

I just got a 1986 22r 4x4 and am having trouble starting the truck. It had a previous alarm system installed on it. The previous owner attempted to disconnect the alarm, but it is still wired somehow.

The problem: There seems to be some type of override on the ignition. When I try to start I can hear the alarm sounding faintly, I have to try several times for it to turn over, I have to wiggle the key and try many times.

How can I totally disconnect the alarm? Is it a simple solution or a major wiring issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and I hope I can return the favor and contribute to this forum.

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:01 PM

It sounds more like a battery issue than an alarm issue. The alarm will be easy enough to uninstall. First you need to find the brain box, it will be small black and stuffed way up under the dash somewhere most likely. Then it is just a matter of tracing all the wires attached to it (at least 10 arranged in a few different harnesses and connectors) and cutting them where they are spliced onto your factory wiring. I stress tracing all of them because some of them will go to alarm components like the speaker and the hood pin and an led and probably a shock sensor.

Now all the wires that actually go to your truck wiring and not to other components should be spliced (meaning the original wire is still connected) so you should be able to cut the spliced wire off and tape up the bare end. The only exception I can think of is if the alarm has a starter kill relay installed. A starter kill relay will be the only component that actually severs a factory wire....this being the starter wire. But since you stated that it does turn over eventually then I don't suspect this to be an issue. ANyways that is how to remove the alarm, if you don't want to remove it then once you find the box all you have to do is remove the two fuses that will be on two of the red wires running into the box. And snip the wires going to the siren.

Now your problem sounds more like a bad connection at the battery...or worst case scenario a bad ignition switch. But definitely check the battery terminals
Old 11-21-2008, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when you try to start it does it make a single click in the drivers side kick panel? when the alarm sounds is it just the sires chirpping or does it sound like two cats humping? (alot of screaching noises) like schmooot said, the wires under your steering column should be intack unless the original owner felt the need to install starter disable. i have seen the wire going to the starter from the relay not have enough power to start it, it still runs power through the ignition switch. you can use a jumper from the battery to the starter wire from the ignition to see if it starts.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:34 PM

schmoot, taco....... thanks for the input. I have disconnected the alarm, and now i'm getting the infamous "click sound" from passenger side when I turn over. I'll check the battery, terminals, connections, and then on to starter I guess.
Thanks for the help.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
check that when you're turning the key on that the start wire at the starter is getting 12v. if it is, you should probably wire a relay to turn on with the key (from that lead) then have battery voltage applied to the start terminal on the starter.