Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

What header should i get

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What header should i get

I have and 82 toyota and i want to get some headers for it but i dont want to break the banks, so what would you guys recomend.

The two company's im considering right now is doug thorley and pacessetter.

and im wondering if i do go with the pacessetters (because of price) are they still going to be good headers??

What can you guys tell me about your headers and what you would recommend??
Old 05-04-2010, 10:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i have a pacesetter on my '86, i think it's like 10 years old i believe (previous owner said it was about that) and it's perfectly fine, looks nasty, but it's solid!

and it's LOTS cheaper than any DT header
Old 05-04-2010, 11:32 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I know many scoff at LCE because of their prices.....I agree on many products...'WOE!'....but I think their design on their custom, in shop made stainless CA legal ceramic coated header is nice for 330 or so. I'll have them on in a week, and I can tell you then if they're comparable or better than the Downey Header I had on my last Runner, "Blanca"....happy hunting.

What does a PC go for?
Old 05-05-2010, 09:28 AM

alaska probably doesnt have the smog restrictions CA does. I just ordered a DT header, but damn are they expensive. I would have went for a less expensive one had it been smog legal. the tri-y design (DT) is supposed to give more low end than the 4-1 (LCE), but i dont think it would be noticable on our trucks.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
has any body seen the new header Trail-gear is selling?
Old 05-05-2010, 10:27 AM

http://www.trail-gear.com/performance-parts

its not smog legal (but that might not apply/matter to everyone) and if you have air injection it looksl ike it doesn't have that feature.

BTW...side not on smog legal headers. I've heard that people will buy a non-smog header, and just find an old CARB number for a downey header and use that to pass smog. it illegal, but you know how it goes.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:46 PM

No the brick is right, up here in Alaska we have none of the regs you have in states for exhaust. You can have it as loud as you want, and no smog hook ups are required. Also they just lifted (recently) IM tests so now we no longer need a Cat in the Exhuast

CAMO i was wondering if your pace setter headers work pretty good and if the make it sound pretty sweet??? Because im looking at purchasing some because of their price
Old 05-05-2010, 06:02 PM

That trailgear header doesn't look bad, it looks just like the LCE header I have. It even comes with everything the LCE comes with. I kinda like it better because it is fully polished while LCE is ceramic coated. And who knows if it is actually stainless under that ceramic coating, mine is showing signs of rust????

Last edited by streetlancer; 05-05-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:32 PM

Hey Lancer,

One way to check is with a magnet. Your saying this kinda freaked me out, ....considering I have the Y-type LCE 4-1 sitting in my garage, waiting to go on my new engine. hahaha.

Magnets don't always work, because certain things, depending on heat and such, need more chromium or whatever the chemical make up is. So, I tested mine with a magnet...the clamps jumped up from a half foot away, lol...but the header, barely grabbed on the magnet. Are you sure it's rust? Dang, that's not good news to hear, if so! However, being in CA., I'm limited to my choices seeing that Downey is OUT OF BIZ! lol. Looks like you have some wheels I can use....muahahahahah! lol. Jk.

BTW, is all that red in your suspension Rancho goodies? Or did you paint stuff? Sorry, my old eyes, lol.

G'day, Lancer,....

Chef
Old 05-07-2010, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a set of Dougs on my 4runner 3.4 and everybody comments on how nice they are.....even the custom motor crowd
Old 05-07-2010, 04:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
FWIW I love my LCE header:

Old 05-07-2010, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey Lancer,

One way to check is with a magnet. Your saying this kinda freaked me out, ....considering I have the Y-type LCE 4-1 sitting in my garage, waiting to go on my new engine. hahaha.

Magnets don't always work, because certain things, depending on heat and such, need more chromium or whatever the chemical make up is. So, I tested mine with a magnet...the clamps jumped up from a half foot away, lol...but the header, barely grabbed on the magnet. Are you sure it's rust? Dang, that's not good news to hear, if so! However, being in CA., I'm limited to my choices seeing that Downey is OUT OF BIZ! lol. Looks like you have some wheels I can use....muahahahahah! lol. Jk.

BTW, is all that red in your suspension Rancho goodies? Or did you paint stuff? Sorry, my old eyes, lol.

G'day, Lancer,....

Chef
Well, I'm sure it's rust. I've tried power washing but no luck, here are some pics:
Day of Install

And Now

And nah, the red is just paint, i went crazy with the spray can!!

Last edited by streetlancer; 05-07-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:07 PM

Maybe the Pipes behind the header aren't as high quality stainless? Hard to tell from here, just looks like oxidization, but I'll just take your word, ...you're the one driving it. Yeah, that's a LOTTA RED, .....Oh, sorry.... HEADER, HEADER, HEADER, ...lol, jk.

Anywhoooooooo, I'll be getting mine on in about a week....but in Cali, where I am? Rust shouldn't be a problem. Have'a Good'n.

PS> Did he decide which header he's gonna get? ....I couldn't find it...maybe I missed it.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:21 PM

i think i will go with the pacesetter header because their the cheepest. i know people say they leak but i can make gaskets for them, and also in Alaska they dont salt the roads so rust is not really an issue for me.

My only question though is that on the pacesetter headers the only listing for an 82 toyota, (which is what i have is) is for a 2.2L engine. and i know the 22r is a 2.4

Should i be worried by this??, or should i go ahead and buy them and hope they fit??
Old 05-08-2010, 06:31 PM

I'm not a pro at this, but I'd say NO, not without someone like Ted from Engine Builder, or someone on this site telling you it's ok. I would think the exhaust ports on the head are different, because, ...isn't the 2.2 the 20R, guys?