Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

WEIRD experience with a WIX oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WEIRD experience with a WIX oil filter

So a week ago I did an oil change on my 82 2WD truck. As you all know, when changing the filter you get some leakage from the old filter as you spin it off that runs down the side of the block.

I always use a Napa Gold 1515 as my filter, I have never had an issue with these filters. The quality and construction is very good.

Jump forward to today. I noticed at startup this morning that my oil pressure was higher than normal. I have a manual O/P guage that has always been very consistent. Usually, until the motor reaches normal operating temp I have about 60psi @ 1600 rpm. This morning I noticed it was between 75-80psi, but no abnormal motor sounds or anything like that. As it got to normal temp it came down to about 60psi for the drive to work. Didn't think anymore bout it til the drive home this evening...same thing happened.

So, I get home and let the truck cool off a few minutes while I swilled a frosty PBR. After I finished my delicious liquid refreshment, I went and pulled the dipstick to check the oil level. Dipstick read almost a quart HIGH. I was positive that I added 5 quarts when I did the oil change, so by now I'm thinking WTF?? So I slid a pan under the truck and started to spin of the filter. Spun it all the way off and not a drop of oil running down the block. Looked inside the filter and there was maybe 1/2" of oil in the bottom of it but that was all.

Took the filter down to the NAPA store and showed them and explained what I had found. They swapped out the filter with a new 1515 and I came home and installed. Started the truck. Oil pressure was back to the normal psi range. Let it run for a few, shut it down, let oil drain back to the crankcase and pulled the dipstick. Reading was much lower but still just a tad over the full mark. Started to loosen and spin off the filter and as soon as seal broke from the block I had oil trickling down the block so I snugged it back up and wiped down the block.

Just really strange...I've never had a flow problem with a NAPA Gold filter before. Anyone else??
Old 08-13-2012, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seems like the WIX had some sort of manufacturing error....... strange indeed.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never use anything but Toyota filters since it ends up being about the same price and I have seen different little things happen with aftermarket filters.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by James Woods
I never use anything but Toyota filters since it ends up being about the same price and I have seen different little things happen with aftermarket filters.
Same here. The TOYOTA filters are actually about $1.50 cheaper here than any of the NAPA or FRAM filters. Plus, the drain pan gasket comes with the filter.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I use Purolator filters, never had a problem. I also use a filter that is taller than stock which gives me longer filter life and better flow without substituting filtration.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:07 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Crazy! I've used a bunch of different filters (including Fram) and never had a problem. I go with NAPA too, these days. I agree, it must have been some weird manufacturing error or something.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This exact thing happened to me once with a Fram filter, now i ALWAYS use Toyota OEM filters!!
Old 08-15-2012, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Gov't Mule
So a week ago I did an oil change on my 82 2WD truck. As you all know, when changing the filter you get some leakage from the old filter as you spin it off that runs down the side of the block.

I always use a Napa Gold 1515 as my filter, I have never had an issue with these filters. The quality and construction is very good.

Jump forward to today. I noticed at startup this morning that my oil pressure was higher than normal. I have a manual O/P guage that has always been very consistent. Usually, until the motor reaches normal operating temp I have about 60psi @ 1600 rpm. This morning I noticed it was between 75-80psi, but no abnormal motor sounds or anything like that. As it got to normal temp it came down to about 60psi for the drive to work. Didn't think anymore bout it til the drive home this evening...same thing happened.

So, I get home and let the truck cool off a few minutes while I swilled a frosty PBR. After I finished my delicious liquid refreshment, I went and pulled the dipstick to check the oil level. Dipstick read almost a quart HIGH. I was positive that I added 5 quarts when I did the oil change, so by now I'm thinking WTF?? So I slid a pan under the truck and started to spin of the filter. Spun it all the way off and not a drop of oil running down the block. Looked inside the filter and there was maybe 1/2" of oil in the bottom of it but that was all.

Took the filter down to the NAPA store and showed them and explained what I had found. They swapped out the filter with a new 1515 and I came home and installed. Started the truck. Oil pressure was back to the normal psi range. Let it run for a few, shut it down, let oil drain back to the crankcase and pulled the dipstick. Reading was much lower but still just a tad over the full mark. Started to loosen and spin off the filter and as soon as seal broke from the block I had oil trickling down the block so I snugged it back up and wiped down the block.

Just really strange...I've never had a flow problem with a NAPA Gold filter before. Anyone else??
Hi,
I am the technical manager at FRAM. Trying to understand what happened here. The flow of oil is from the oil pump, through the filter and then on to the engine bearings. Is the oil pressure tap before or after the filter? Hard to believe you had oil pressure without the filter being full of oil. Sometimes the filter can fail to prime due to the pump not overcoming the antidrainback valve in the filter, that is why its a good habit to fill the filter at least half way when installing a new one. Using a filter with a silicone adb valve helps with this. FRAM TG and Ultra have silicone but I thought the NAPA filter did too. www.youtube.com/cadzillals6
Old 08-15-2012, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Gov't Mule

Hi,
Spoke with one of our engineers about this today. The oil was not flowing through the filter media for some reason,and WIX has a bypass valve at the front (tapping plate) end of the filter. So, your oil was coming out of the pump and just bypassing the filter cartridge. That is why the level read high. If you didnt drive it like that long, no real issue since the oil was fresh.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Motorking
Hi,
Spoke with one of our engineers about this today. The oil was not flowing through the filter media for some reason,and WIX has a bypass valve at the front (tapping plate) end of the filter. So, your oil was coming out of the pump and just bypassing the filter cartridge. That is why the level read high. If you didnt drive it like that long, no real issue since the oil was fresh.
That was my conclusion as well.