Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Weber & Offenhauser Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weber & Offenhauser Questions

Getting ready to do a little work to the rust bucket..
I picked up an Offy intake (c-series) & have 2 Webers.. Both 32-36, one is elec. choke.. other is H2O controlled..
A Downey header & probably going with 2in exhaust..

Truck is currently a DD..
Chevy 63's are ready to go on & RUF.. Along with the interior cage.. Truck isn't going to be a hard core off roader.. but want it to be capable if the task arrives..
22R is stock.. Will probably start building another 22R soon..
But motor runs great so no rush..

My questions are
1- which carb should I use.. I have heard great things about both, with the H2O controlled.. Only downfall I have heard is running another water hose to carb
2- anyone have any experience with the c-series offy? how does it compare to the dual port?

I have done searches & came up with nothing..
& don't trust anything heard from NWOR

Thanks in advance all!!
Old 01-04-2012, 11:58 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I had the dual plane with the 32/36 and elec choke. One of the best dd setups IMO. Great gas milage and good power. Went to sidedrafts and got more top end. Don't know about the c series offy but LOVED the dual plane and never had a problem w the elec choke.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bingle
I had the dual plane with the 32/36 and elec choke. One of the best dd setups IMO. Great gas milage and good power. Went to sidedrafts and got more top end. Don't know about the c series offy but LOVED the dual plane and never had a problem w the elec choke.
Thanks for the reply Bingle.. & to another E.Washington Toyota owner!!
Can't believe after 100+ looks.. you are the only reply..
& about your experience.. That is what I am finding with the Dual Port Offy.. Found many reviews in my search.. Just none with the C-Series..
Old 01-05-2012, 06:07 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Not a prob. I am sure the c-series is better than the stock toyota intake at minimum. Offy has been around for a good while and wouldn't make a manifold if it didn't offer improvement over stock. They make a quality product. FYI- be careful when tightening down the bolts on the water jacket on the bottom of the intake. I stripped one out and had a hell of a time keeping it from leaking after that.
First gen 4x's rock
over 520K mi on mine
Old 01-10-2012, 01:49 PM

I don't have an Offy, but my electric choke 32/36 has never failed in the 7 years it's been on.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by mudmaster
I don't have an Offy, but my electric choke 32/36 has never failed in the 7 years it's been on.
Thanks for the input Mud..
Truck is out in the shop now..
63's & RUF 1st..
Decided on the elec. choke 32/36 with the Offy.
Looking at adding a 2nd transfer case...

Probably going to get rid of the SS Camaro to get the wife a nicer car.. I will pick up another older diesel rig for a DD & an going to make more of an offroad toy out of the Toyota..
Old 02-19-2013, 04:03 PM

Water versus electric

I have had my '80 since new. It got the dual port Offy and Weber almost right away. The truck had water choke as did the Weber. It worked great for almost 30 years. However, when the choke stopped working ... I could not get the parts I needed (partly because my 32/36 is a little different, it was made for the 20r with CA smog). But a little research and I found that the water carb and the electric carb are identical ... except the choke parts. So I bought the electric choke parts and converted mine. I just looped my water line. It works fine. But I like the water choke better because it took the choke off when the engine actually got warm. The electric choke is essentially a timer and the choke goes off too fast in extremely cold weather (which in AZ means under 20). If it was me I'd go for the water knowing that if it ever goes bad, you can swap the choke parts to electric. I did not even have to remove the carb or anything. If you go electric ... what are you going to do with the water choke parts :-) Might be interested.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Not Far From Par
Thanks for the input Mud..
Truck is out in the shop now..
63's & RUF 1st..
Decided on the elec. choke 32/36 with the Offy.
Looking at adding a 2nd transfer case...

Probably going to get rid of the SS Camaro to get the wife a nicer car.. I will pick up another older diesel rig for a DD & an going to make more of an offroad toy out of the Toyota..
Any updates??
Old 04-02-2013, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just recently installed a offy dual port intake and weber 32/36 carb with electric choke on my 86 pickup. Also added a 1 inch spiral spacer. Removed all emission related components. Noticeable difference in power and it has a nice sound to it. Getting slightly better mpg as well. Another bonus is that it really cleans up the engine compartment.
Attached Thumbnails Weber & Offenhauser Questions-truck-1.jpg   Weber & Offenhauser Questions-truck-3.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
ArcticTaco (09-16-2022)
Old 04-16-2013, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by 86toyoda
Just recently installed a offy dual port intake and weber 32/36 carb with electric choke on my 86 pickup. Also added a 1 inch spiral spacer. Removed all emission related components. Noticeable difference in power and it has a nice sound to it. Getting slightly better mpg as well. Another bonus is that it really cleans up the engine compartment.
WOW! that does look a heck of a lot better! I am looking to do this conversion myself. Just rebuilt my 22R with a cam and other some other goodies, threw a w56 behind it as well, so i need a few performance products to match.

Hoping to find the dual offy and a matching Weber somewhere around here in the NW. I know people have they laying around from old projects. Speaking of which PM me if you are interesting in selling that extra weber you now have.

I have also not heard much about the C-series, what exactly is the difference between the two?