Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

starting my 83 2rz swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the very useful info moebass I really appreciate it. So I'm definately going to just get all the mounting done and get the harness through the firewall. Would my harness not have the e5 and e6 because it's a 96 2rz distributor motor? Can I use the original charcoal canister instead of the emissions box? and no i don't have it and I'll have to get back to you on controll solenoids lol Essentially I want the engine to run smooth and not overheat and get the best mileage I can. I live in Oregon so we have some strict emissions but not as tight as cali
Old 02-12-2009, 09:31 AM

i will spend some time looking for the diagrams, 96 is going to be a little different then the 2000 diagram on marlins site. i gave up on diagrams and figured it out on my own. what i did was mount the ecu with everything plugged into it, and then looked at all the wires and plugs not going anywhere. e5 and e6 should plug into the ecu. all your splicing is going to be in the harnesses that go into the body (the mangled ones). i don't know alot about the 83 wiring in the truck, but let's face it, toyota wiring from the factory is some of the cleanest and easiest to work with. many of my wires spliced into something either the same color or a slightly different shade. although it gets really exciting to hear the motor run for the first time, do everything else before you turn the key. i saw a fresh motor swap run without oil because the kid was too excited, that shorted the life of the bearings for sure. i used a couple clip boards and wrote down the wire colors as i traced what they did, then used masking tape on the wires to label their function. you will need to use the oil pressure sending unit from you stock motor, the one on the 2rz is not going to work your gauge. good luck, it is totally worth it! being that you last motor had a carb, what emissions do you really have left, does your 83 cluster even have a check engine light? did your truck even have a ecu? let me know can then i can help narrow down the wires that really need to be hook up.

Last edited by Moebass; 02-12-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:18 PM

so i was lookin under the dash and found the "emission control" box

As far as emissions that I have left I have two charcoal canisters I think and a couple stock vacuum solenoids?
Old 02-13-2009, 04:32 PM

Here's a pic of my mounts I burned em in hot! lolAs you can see there's a little stress hole in the frame and I welded the mounts in about 3/4" from the center of the hole

Last edited by blueridder2207; 02-13-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:43 PM

Here's some pics of the engine bay kinda dirty but I'll get it cleaned up...Those are the vacuum solenoids I was talkin about and the charcoal canister in the second pic. I'm not sure if I can re use them but we'll see there's also another char canister right above my axle on the driver side
Old 02-13-2009, 05:26 PM

your progress looks good. sunday i will be home and i will try to take some pics of my setup. it will show you how i went through the firewall. it may be like the location of your 2004 taco. i am not familar with the 83 emissions control. you should be able to use it but your new ecu with throw a code. there may be a way to dummy it up. in you pics i see the wiper motor but no canister. you should just have one. your motor looks good in there.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:18 AM

ha ha whoops heres the right pic of the canister and such
Old 02-14-2009, 08:52 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Looks fuuunnnn
Old 02-15-2009, 07:48 PM

here is the shot of my engine bay with the 2.7 in a 93. the harness has a flange with gasket that i reused. i welded a plate on the inside with nuts so i could bolt in right in from the engine bay. it's a little funny, i have a black truck with a red engine bay and you decided red wasn't quite the color you had in mind either. i have more pics in my user profile. i don't want to post anymore in your build thread to confuse people. so take a look, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails starting my 83 2rz swap-dscn0973.jpg  
Old 02-16-2009, 03:27 PM

just an update I'm waiting on a bunch of parts to get in then I'll continue work...
Looks like I'm waiting on a clutch fork,TPS,t100 oil pan conversion parts, bell housing stiffner plate and I think thats it for now lol
Old 02-17-2009, 09:13 PM

Got the clutch fork from a w59 2wd tacoma the stock throw out bearing from my w56 trans and right now my old 22r slave cylinder bolts right up to the w59 bellhousing...Since the fork is in I got the tranny bolted up and i'm figuring out a way to utilize the stock t case crossmember. I checked the hood clearance with the crossmember jacked all the way up and it fits perfect.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:31 AM

Time for an update!!!!!!! lets see I've got the t-case mounted using the ubolt over the frame style for now. I've routed the engine harness through my firewall and just used some self tapping screws to mount it. It actually seems pretty sturdy but offroadin will take care of that lol right now I'm workin on all the wiring ..What a head ache lol I've also got a fuse box out of a 3.4l truck that has all the relays and fuses i need.... I'm also tryin to figure out my ignition wiring this is the most confusing part I have just an AM switch on the 83 which contains acc IG and ST wires and the newer tacoma style circuit has a second switch called AM2 and it has IG2 and ST2 can i just eliminate the second switch???
Old 04-05-2009, 08:43 AM

to keep it simple, just solder in you new ignition switch harness into the exhisting one. starter one and two can be tied together as well as the two ignitions. did you get the complete harness from the dash to the engine bay's fuse box?
Old 04-05-2009, 09:43 PM

ok sweet thats great info moebass glad to hear from you...Man I've been busy tryin to balance work and get this truck done... anyway how many relays did you run? a starter relay efi ? Yes I had the harness that went in to the dash and all the plugs but I eliminated all the plugs so I just have wires to either solder or delete..
Old 04-06-2009, 01:36 PM

the relays you need should be built into the 3.4 fuse box. in my 93 i reused the 93 fusebox instead of swapping to the 97 stuff. your truck is more basic so you will need a different approach. i know the gauge of wire at your ingition switch must look huge compared to the newer wiring. the older trucks, mine included, carried more amperage through the ignition switch then the newer ones. the newer ones use more relays in the engine bay. you will need to delete a lot of wires in the fusebox but i would do that later and just mark the ones you need and figure where they go. starter relay is in the new box, and efi, you should not need to do anything fancy, it should all be there.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:00 PM

haha thanks man I know the relays are in the fuse box I've identified all of them and the fuses and taped off the head and tail relays cause I'm going to supply power to the 83 fuse box to run my lights accessories etc. I was tryin to figure out if there was a starter relay on the 83 that was maybe called something else like emission relay?? I've read the whole 83 wiring diagram and it doesn't show a starter relay but it does show one for the diesel style motor.. So the AM1 ign wire and AM2 ign wire are white and white with red stripe but every thing on my ignition switch is black with r,y,w and blue with red and in my fsm wiring manuel from my 83 doesn't identify what color does what???
Old 04-06-2009, 06:25 PM

the wiring is easy for me, car starter tech, here we go : white and w/r are your direct from the battery 12v continous, blk/r is 2nd ingition, blk/y is ign 1, blk/w is starter, possibly no relay. the reason for this is that it fires a solinoid (larger relay built on starter), later years have a relay as a safety feature and to stop melting wires under the dash, blue/ red stripe is your acc. how is the wiring for the ecu turning out?
Old 04-07-2009, 03:59 PM

Old 04-07-2009, 04:02 PM

The wiring for the computer has been pretty much straight forward I only have an E5 plug since my motor is a 2wd 2rz lol There's only like 5-6 wires needing spliced...
Old 04-07-2009, 04:06 PM

above is the diagram for the 2rz starting and ignition.... according to that I should be able to splice the ign#2 that comes from the distributor into the wire labeled IG that is black and yellow on my ign switch and not even run the AM2???

Quick Reply: starting my 83 2rz swap