Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

rust inside frame

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rust inside frame

I know I need to start a thread on my build cause I ask a lot of questions but my main concern is fixin my rust. Well it is not real bad all of it is really just surface rust with flakes but how in the world am I suppose to get the rust inside the frame and like what do Yall recommend using to treat the rust and paint etc. Thanks
Old 04-06-2013, 03:47 PM

I accept some rust will happen (can't stop it all) and use Fluid Film. Fluid Film is a great anti rust product. It is not paint or rust converter. Instead it prevents the rust from getting any worse. It coats real good and stays in place. I spray it any where I see rust. I also keep a coat on known rust prone areas like the axle housing and in front of the lower trac bars. It is hard to find. I buy by the case on ebay.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:01 PM

So you just spray it inside the frame best you can
Old 04-06-2013, 07:34 PM

There are a few threads on this if you search. Eastwood makes a zinc based internal frame coating, comes with 18" hose spray nozzles to get inside. I would spray the whole frame out real good with a garden hose, get all the dirt out, let it dry a week, prep the inside with Ospho, let that dry a few days, spray the Eastwood coating, let that dry, and then maybe use the Fluid Film, or Cavity Wax for a final interior coating. For the exterior, I would use Magnet Paints "Chassis Saver" in black. If you have real big flakes then there is only so much you can do to stop it, once the cancer starts it's pretty hard to stop it but you can definitely slow it down.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:52 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by catfish21
I know I need to start a thread on my build cause I ask a lot of questions but my main concern is fixin my rust. Well it is not real bad all of it is really just surface rust with flakes but how in the world am I suppose to get the rust inside the frame and like what do Yall recommend using to treat the rust and paint etc. Thanks
Which is it surface rust or flakes. Surface rust hasn't reached a flaking stage, once it is starting to flake it's deep not on the surface.

You can attack the inside of the frame with an air hose and shop vac in seperate holes, this will remove alot but not everything. You'll need to work your way from one end to the other and back again in adjacent frame plug holes and reverse the orientation of the air hose and vacuum when you change directions.

You'll then need to treat any rust (por15 or another rust converter) and seal any bare metal(por15 again, is a good durable undercoat bonus it'll convert rust you missed).

Once it starts to flake you really need to just cut it out and apply patches. At which point you need to decide if a frame swap would be a better use of your time and money.

There are lots of options for chemical treatments, everything from acid baths to rust converters. You'll want to do your own research and, again, decide what is your best use of time and money.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:03 AM

So your telling me if it's flaking the frame is that bad, it don't look that bad but I was thinking of grinding or wirewheel it then treat it
Old 04-09-2013, 12:38 PM

If it's got big flakes from the inside, that's bad. Outside you can wire wheel it and treat with some good sealer like POR-15 or Chassis Saver from Magnet Paints. The big flakes on the inside....well that means there's some serious rust in there and it's just too hard to get that out and seal it right.... post some pics up if you can and maybe that will help people give advice.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:15 PM

It's not big flakes at all they are very small you can swipe your hand over it and it cleans it pretty good but them again I don't really know a whole lot about rust and how to treat it but to me it really don't look that bad it just needs some attention now I will take some pics when I get home from work and see what you guys think
Old 04-11-2013, 06:30 PM

Get it cleaned out with a hose so no more dirt or rocks are in there.

Let it dry for several good hot days. Use a spray bottle with Ospho (phosphoric acid) and spray it inside all the frame holes as best you can. Use a respirator and gloves, and watch where it drips out so you don't ruin your wife's nice driveway.

Let that dry for 2 days, and then spray the inside with Eastwood's zinc internal frame coating, you will need several cans, probably 4. See my post #4 above for the rest.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:05 AM

As soon as I get the time off I'm addressing the issue and thanks for all the help again fellas