Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Propane Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Propane Conversion

Just found this site which sells direct propane conversion kits for 20r 22r and 22re engines. Looks like a pretty cool and easy to install conversion. I think I might have to splurge especially with the price of gas these days. Looks like the emission of propane are a lot cleaner than gas as well. I don't have to do emissions in my county so I could probably get away with it. Anyone have any experience with these kits?

http://www.gotpropane.com/p4.html#Toyota

Name:  ftoymotor.jpg
Views: 2878
Size:  38.7 KB
Old 12-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You wanting insight on just this kit, any kit or just running on Propane at all? I know theres a few threads on here that you could find doing a quick search that would probably give you plenty of info.

Last edited by EWAYota; 12-11-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do they have it for the 3.0????
Old 12-12-2007, 04:26 AM

well that screws me, we have emmissions every year.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by stormin94
Do they have it for the 3.0????
As far as this company goes they only have it for the older engines. There are books out there that explain how to DIY. This kit is ready to go just have to buy a tank but only for the before mentioned models. They say the computers in the newer truck make it difficult to tinker with them.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by phreetogo
Just found this site which sells direct propane conversion kits for 20r 22r and 22re engines. Looks like a pretty cool and easy to install conversion. I think I might have to splurge especially with the price of gas these days. Looks like the emission of propane are a lot cleaner than gas as well. I don't have to do emissions in my county so I could probably get away with it. Anyone have any experience with these kits?

http://www.gotpropane.com/p4.html#Toyota

you say you want to go propane because of the price of gas. over here in the uk we are paying in your money just under $11 a galon.

mtm
Old 12-13-2007, 12:32 PM

Yeah we have it easy compared to countries that buy gas by the liter.

How long would it take before you are saving money? You have to buy the kit up front, and it seems that propane is not all that much cheaper than gas. I know it costs about $15 to fill up my 5 gallon grill tank. How much better is mpg with propane vs gas?

Rob

Last edited by rdlsz24; 12-13-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:48 PM

I just found this site, and I tried the link to the gotpropane. I sent emails all week and they dont respond. that makes me a little leary of going on a limb with technology I dont understand buying from someone who doesnt even answer emails from prospective buyers.
Anyway, I am a little of a Toyota nubee. I had one in the past and loved it (90 ex cab 4x4 4cyl 5 speed) I sould have kept it. anyway I want to get one to convert to propane, I just sold my duramax. I would like a newer model reg cab 4 cylinder, but I am not sure if the high tech kits out there are really DIY. Has anyone out there done a DIY on a 2.7 in a newer toy, or atleast done this diy in the 2.4 re or 22re. Also it looks like the 22re was last built in the 4x4 in 94 is that correct? it appears the 2x4 got it for several more years.
Also it looks like the 2.7 is sequentiual multipoint injected while the 22re (2.4) is throttle body fuel injected. Is this also true. I have done some searching on google, but I seem to get pretty vague answers.
I really want to do this project, but I have to figure out which truck to buy. I dont mind spending a little more for a newer model to avoid some of the other maintanence costs, but I want to do this myself. (i just like these type of projects, I dont want to pay someone else to have all the fun). I dont want this as a full time daily driver as I usually ride my harley unless it is actively raining. Yes I do ride in the rain, but I try like heck not to. I have done alot of mods on my bike, so I dont think putting on a propane system will be too dificult, with good instructions and a toyotas repair manual with parts schematic.
Any help is appreciated, sorry to hijack the thread, but its been dead for a while so I figured no one would mind.
and please I am just looking for helpful info. If I sound like an idiot, I did start out as I am a nubee. I did spend about 10 hours searching on my own before posting this question.
Also if you have done this conversion, would you do it again.
I plan on having the heads machined to raise compression to take advantage of the higher octane, Iplan on running straight propane not duel fuel. If thats possible ( I have read conflicting opinions) I also plan on putting in a cam, cold air intake, and headers and an exhaust. I park in the garage so cold startups dont really concern me. And during the day it doesnt get that cold in SW missouri (every once in a great while). Thats why I have a bike as my daily driver. There probably arent 30 days a year I wouldnt be able to ride.
Thanks again
Old 07-18-2008, 01:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no.. only kits are for 22r and 22re but the 22re needs a 22r distributor and ignitor cause you dont use computer...
if you have emmision you cant use it and if you want to get it inspected you need a professional to install all lines to tank and stuff
Old 07-18-2008, 01:28 PM

Propane as a DD?

Is it reasonable for a dd to run on propane??
Old 07-18-2008, 01:32 PM

How much better is mpg with propane vs gas?
It says in the gotpropane.com website that the hard core rock crawlers that run hard for a whole day run about 9 gals. It also said that running trails used about 4 gals.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:34 PM

We run a stock 22r all day on the trail (8 hour day of hard wheeling) on 4 to 5 gallons. The turbo truck uses about 6 to 7 gallons. You can figure that it will use about a gallon more per day than you are using now. If you are worried about running out, you can get a 10 gallon tank or find a larger motorfuel tank.
Jeep 258 mileage seems to be around 13mpg. That is with full width axles and lifted.
Hardcore rockcrawlers are using on average 3 gallons LESS of fuel per day!
This is the actual excerpt. The link is:

http://www.gotpropane.com/p11.html#7
Old 07-18-2008, 01:41 PM

The GotPropane kits work great. It has exceeded my expectations and havent had any problems with it.
On the logistical side of it, its a PITA. It seems to be getting harder to find places that will fill my forklift tanks. A lot of gas stations that fill tanks for your grill or fishhouse say they cant fill my type of tank anymore. I still havnt figured out why. Plan on carrying every adapter.
I will give you a senario that happens a lot; I tow my rig to my favorite offroad park and set up camp. I have 3 tanks and if I want to wheel on Sunday then I need to get them filled. So I load 2 empty tanks and 1 partial and set out in an unfamiliar area to get them filled. OH, Im sorry, the places that could fill it are only open Mon-Fri. I drive around for the next hour or so and I finally find a place that will fill them...for $35 each and that includes the 1 partial tank. That works out to about $4.35 a gallon and almost $9.00 a gallon for the half full one.
Now...you say,"just buy more tanks" and you would be right however, would you want $600 (and thats empty) worth of tanks sitting back at camp unguarded or rattling around in the back of your pickup?
I have given serious thought to installing an RV tank but then I would have to trailer my trail only rig to fill it up then, theres the weekend problem again plus thats a lot of weight above the axles.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:55 PM

Okay, I have doing google searches and reading various articles, and I thought, hey, I am going to call my local propane place and check out how much propane is per gallon... $3.15, Gas I bought Yesterday $4.17 a gallon. Wow. I could save a ton of money... So does any one have any non wheeling experience for gas milage? From what I read you save fuel idling, in the cold and other situations but use more fuel with heavy exceleration. Any imput on a stock truck with propane toyota-erik?
Old 07-18-2008, 03:17 PM

One thing that I've noticed is that LPG prices arent consistant. I have seen some gas stations charge $30 to fill a 20# grill tank. If you have a place that charges the market retail price, then fill up with them. Are they open on weekends?

I dont have any advise to give you about converting a dd other than the problems finding fuel that I mentioned before. I suppose if you just used it close to home it would work pretty good.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:32 PM

I have checked in to this a lot also and this is what i found out about the tanks. The places around my are charge a flat rate of 19 dollars to fill a 20lb tank. i took my emty tank in to fill and it only took 3 and a half gallons to fill it. still 19 dollars. some places charghe 20 but still it is hard to find a place that will charge by the gallon. Now if you get a big propain tank in your back yard and have a company come out to fill it, like for your house then they will charge you by the gallon and you can fill your own tanks with some hard ware and riging to the tank.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:46 AM

Believe it or not, I'm actually considering converting my house to propane for just that reason.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i wast thinking what about natural gas. lots of cars run on it here.. and my house has a hookup!!
Old 07-20-2008, 05:37 AM

Does natural gas come to your house as a liquid? I dont know jack about NG.
I do know that if you cant put a liquid in your tank, you wouldnt get very far. Does anyone know the difference between NG and LPG?
Old 07-20-2008, 10:39 AM

I dont think id do it, LPG burns at a higher rate than Gasoline and creates less energy, so you wont be paying as much for a full tank but it wont last you anywhere near what a full tank of gas would and less hp aswell. The last thing is it will take 10-15 mins at the fuel station to fill it up and you have to find a station that has propane aswell, id definetly have a backup tank that's always full.

Quick Reply: Propane Conversion