Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

oil light keeps coming

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil light keeps coming

i can drive my 83 yota around and be heading home then light comes on then the truck dies but it doesnt do it all the time. i dont know if i need to change sending unit sensor or the pump
Old 12-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
What does your oil level look like?
Old 12-28-2012, 01:00 PM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
In my mind, if the truck "died" due to low oil pressure, that would mean your engine is seized and you need to rebuild it. So I'm guessing the issue is not with the oil, but maybe something electrical?
Old 12-28-2012, 02:11 PM

the oil full. it wont crank up with pumping the gas put dies right after it cranks. im going to order a new oil pressure sensor and see if the helps.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:40 PM

well just changed the sensor but still no luck idk what to do from here
Old 12-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like a wire is shorting out someplace. Have you checked for a bare wire or one with a burnt insulation? A fuse that is on its way out?
Old 12-28-2012, 04:59 PM

ill check all that tomorrow. i hoping i can get this figured out soon
Old 12-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

If it cranks, starts and then dies then it probably isn't electrical since these motors run primarily mechanical once started. The only wires I would check are the alternator, battery, distributor and coil grounds. If it starts and runs after sitting for a while, I would check both fuel filters-it could be starved of fuel. If you have and electric choke then you may want to make sure that it isn't stuck open-that'll cause it to start then bog itself out. I'm 99% sure that this oil problem isn't causing your engine to stall unless it's locking up
Old 12-28-2012, 06:46 PM

ill check those wires, and see if the choke is stuck open. i changed the filter a week after i got it
Old 12-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

If you changed "the" filter when you bought it then you missed one. There is one at the fuel tank and there's one on the passenger side wheel well under the hood. And just so you know, they can clog up that quick. I was battling mine for a while so I switched to those fancy see through joints with replaceable filter elements. I was constantly replacing the elements because I had so much rust inside my tank when I got it.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:59 PM

does anyone have a diagram of both fuel filters
Old 01-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

No diagrams, but there is one at the fuel tank that sits on the frame rail below the fuel door. The other is on the passenger side fender wall. Just follow the fuel lines from the hard lines where they come up from underneath the truck and you'll run into it. They both are generally the big round white filters that sit in some metal filter holder clip thingies.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:42 PM

you might want to get someone to look at your timing chain.
i had this same problem, and I plugged in an oil pressure gauge to find the reason my light was coming on what that my OP was nearly 0 at idle, and barely cutting the mustard over 1500 revs. Turns out my t-chain had gotten loose and jumped a tooth, and the oil pump wasn't engaging as well without correct tension.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:16 AM

My truck only has one fuel filter. Pretty sure one filter is standard/stock. And that filter is usually near the gas tank on the passenger side frame. Some people relocate thier filter to up by the firewall so it's easier to get at, but I've never heard of there being two (that doesn't mean much, though..).
Old 01-02-2013, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by RobotMoose
you might want to get someone to look at your timing chain.
i had this same problem, and I plugged in an oil pressure gauge to find the reason my light was coming on what that my OP was nearly 0 at idle, and barely cutting the mustard over 1500 revs. Turns out my t-chain had gotten loose and jumped a tooth, and the oil pump wasn't engaging as well without correct tension.
Robot Moose, just a FYI... Your oil pump runs directly off the crankshaft - the same crankshaft that turns your timing chain. You could completely remove your timing chain or even install it 360 out and the oil pump would still pump oil. The motor wouldn't run, but the oil pump would pump away. As long as the crankshaft is turning and the oil pump is not bad then you will be pumping oil regardless of timing or anything else.

Just wanted to let you know that. Perhaps when you fixed your timing chain, you inadvertently fixed the oil pump issues since you had to remove it to get to the timing chain.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by 83
My truck only has one fuel filter. Pretty sure one filter is standard/stock. And that filter is usually near the gas tank on the passenger side frame. Some people relocate thier filter to up by the firewall so it's easier to get at, but I've never heard of there being two (that doesn't mean much, though..).

83, Toyota did a bunch of funky things from year to year and even during model years so I wouldn't doubt that some have two fuel filters and some have one. Mine has, or had (did a little changing), the fuel filter holder bracket clip thingy-ma-jigs on the frame near the tank and on the passenger fender wall along with the fuel filters. I doubt that previous owners put an extra one in since they both are identical factory looking brackets, but who knows for sure. There is also the possibility that a PO could have taken your fender fuel filter out during the last 30 years. Again, who knows for sure? Toyota stuff can be pretty finicky when it comes to things like simple fuel filters. Good thing we have YotaTech!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by kawazx636

83, Toyota did a bunch of funky things from year to year and even during model years so I wouldn't doubt that some have two fuel filters and some have one. Mine has, or had (did a little changing), the fuel filter holder bracket clip thingy-ma-jigs on the frame near the tank and on the passenger fender wall along with the fuel filters. I doubt that previous owners put an extra one in since they both are identical factory looking brackets, but who knows for sure. There is also the possibility that a PO could have taken your fender fuel filter out during the last 30 years. Again, who knows for sure? Toyota stuff can be pretty finicky when it comes to things like simple fuel filters. Good thing we have YotaTech!
For the record, What year is yours?

My 83 had one fuel filter, by the tank. My 81's is under the hood, I did not check for a second!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:06 AM

Yeah I've had the feeling that the earlier ones had filters under the hood. And for some reason, some 20R's, especially 2wd it seems, had electric fuel pumps in the gas tank along with under-hood filters. Weird.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Mine is an 83
Old 01-02-2013, 01:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by red1983
For the record, What year is yours?

My 83 had one fuel filter, by the tank. My 81's is under the hood, I did not check for a second!
My 83 has one fuel filter by the tank only. I traced out the fuel lines looking for a second one.

Quick Reply: oil light keeps coming