Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

OEM oil filter or pure one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM oil filter or pure one?

Is the stock toyota filter good? I read it has cardboard inside like frams do? true or false? the previous owner used toyota because I looked, its blue with white writing. I was thinking of a purolator pure one? who knows about this? thanks.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:21 PM

I use oem on the Tacoma (black with white or gray writing). Will probably start using oem on the 4runner too.

Last edited by 84RNR; 02-21-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:52 PM

so no one knows about the cardboard inside? someone cut a corolla filter open and it was the cardboard kind. if thats the case im going with a pure one. no cardboard.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 95yoda
so no one knows about the cardboard inside? someone cut a corolla filter open and it was the cardboard kind. if thats the case im going with a pure one. no cardboard.
I serioulsy doubt you will find a better filter for a Toyota than the OEM Toyota.

shows nothing to substantiate your cardboard claims on Toyota oil filters...other brands perhaps.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:34 PM

Are you serious? it took less then a second on google to see toyota indeed does use cardboard end caps. glad I researched it, I will be using a pure one it looks like. no cardboard for me.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Banned

Are you serious? it took less then a second on google to see toyota indeed does use cardboard end caps. glad I researched it, I will be using a pure one it looks like. no cardboard for me.
Yes, I'm serious. You started all of this so post it up. I'd like to see it. Cardboard end caps, not cardboard "inside". The media is a fiberglass. It is a well-designed filter and not the paper media you find in many other filters like the FRAM crap.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 02-21-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:44 PM

I cant post it as im on my phone. but I typed in "cardboard toyota oil filter" in google and there were subjects about it on other forums and such stating they use cardboard in the filters. ive heard nothing but good stuff about the pure ones.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
So the only "evidence" you have is guesses from other forums?

Sounds like you need to do a little more research
Old 02-21-2009, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
So the only "evidence" you have is guesses from other forums?

Sounds like you need to do a little more research
They cut them open. if you know, post something?
Old 02-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Staff

Wabbit already pointed out that they were Fiberglass, i didn't feel the need to do so.

http://www.corolland.com/oil-filters.html

Read that through. And while the article writer states "paper" he is only sort of correct, its fiber reinforced paper.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:46 PM

From the link you posted.........

This filter had cardboard end caps glued to each end of the filter element (I found this disappointing quite frankly).

I read this in a few links iv seen now.
one toyota filter did not even use end caps.

I guess I dont see why its so great? just because its stamped with the toyota name does not mean its touched by the hand of god lol.
I dunno, the others with metel seem more sturdy.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Banned

From the link you posted.........

This filter had cardboard end caps glued to each end of the filter element (I found this disappointing quite frankly).

I read this in a few links iv seen now.
one toyota filter did not even use end caps.

I guess I dont see why its so great? just because its stamped with the toyota name does not mean its touched by the hand of god lol.
I dunno, the others with metel seem more sturdy.
It's an oil filter that has a known reputation to work extremely well and has a unique design.

If you don't like the cardboard, don't use it.

But it is just an oil filter, not a u-joint, so I don't think "metal" end caps make a hill of beans difference since that does NONE of the filtering.

The FILTER media is what is important.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
It's an oil filter that has a known reputation to work extremely well and has a unique design.

If you don't like the cardboard, don't use it.

But it is just an oil filter, not a u-joint, so I don't think "metal" end caps make a hill of beans difference since that does NONE of the filtering.

The FILTER media is what is important.

fair enough. just hope quality has not slipped like the trucks have.

the dealer was like thats a clean truck, wanna trade it in on a new one? he was talking about my 82. I laughed and said the old one is built way better and is not a overgrown pig like the new taco lmao.

the dealer wants 5.50 for the filter. grrr
Old 02-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Banned

I have an 85 4Runner, 85 ext cab, 87 4Runner, 97 4Runner (rolled), 07 4Runner and an 08 Tundra (and I've owned probably at least a half dozen or more Toyotas) and I will never own anything but a Toyota.

Yep, they don't make them like they used to but I still love my Toyotas.

Buy you a case of oil filters from trdparts4u.com or somewhere like that and get them for under $3 each. For me that might last me a year with all the Toyotas that go through here, mostly 22R/REs all using the same oil filter.

Next time I dispose of one I'll cut it open for giggles and post the pics for kicks.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:19 PM

I have an 85 4Runner, 85 ext cab, 87 4Runner, 97 4Runner (rolled), 07 4Runner and an 08 Tundra (and I've owned probably at least a half dozen or more Toyotas) and I will never own anything but a Toyota.

Yep, they don't make them like they used to but I still love my Toyotas.

Buy you a case of oil filters from trdparts4u.com or somewhere like that and get them for under $3 each. For me that might last me a year with all the Toyotas that go through here, mostly 22R/REs all using the same oil filter.

Next time I dispose of one I'll cut it open for giggles and post the pics for kicks.

Sense you are a toyota guru, here is a quick question.

do the front and rear diffs on the 82's have drainplugs to drain the fluid? and what should I put in the diffs and transfer case? is it like 80-90w gear oil in all 3? or?

thanks.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Banned

I'm far from guru status, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. As far as I know they have drain plugs on the bottom and fill plugs on the ends just like all the other 79-85 Toyota SF axles/diffs do. I don't think I have ever actually worked on an 82 SFA. I put synthetic RP 75w90 in all my diffs/5spd/tcase.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:52 PM

I'm far from guru status, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. As far as I know they have drain plugs on the bottom and fill plugs on the ends just like all the other 79-85 Toyota SF axles/diffs do. I don't think I have ever actually worked on an 82 SFA. I put synthetic RP 75w90 in all my diffs/5spd/tcase.

cool, thanks!
Old 02-22-2009, 12:00 AM

Toyota filters have an anti-drainback valve in them. I don't know of any others that do.

Almost 600,000 miles on my 22R with OEM oil filters and Castrol oil. Good compression and power, and it passes CA smog no problem. I'm not about to change.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:24 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
i've been using either toyota or fram oil filters on my rigs, havent' had a one problem at all. Toyota filters for my toyota and fram for the other rigs i have. And i'm sure toyota's been around the block a few times and know what they are doing. I have full confidence in my "cardboard" toyota filters. Oh and toyota should put on that grip material like fram does. It would make is sooooo much easier to grip.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:27 AM
Staff

Generally, if you change your oil religiously at 3k miles like I do, the style of oil filter doesn't make that big of a difference.

However, for me, the difference is enough to use factory filters.

Quick Reply: OEM oil filter or pure one?