Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

New member with a "new" truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks! I ended up picking up a set of 30/9.50R15 Wild Country MXTs with about 3,000 miles for $100 each, it was the best deal I could find for non economy tires. Do I have anything to worry about with these?

Also my truck runs super rich and actually gets 15-16 with no lift and stock size tires, should I just try and clean the carbs and maybe adjust the idle circuit? It came from Helena Montana which is 4,000ft above my current location.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey man, I'm a brand new member (former lurker) and that 10 picture thing scared me begezzus out me! jk
I need help with a problem I've been beating my brains out about for a couple of days now.
I was afraid I would'nt qualify since I'm so pic posting ignorant and frazzled.
I will post all the specifics later.
I will thank everyone for their assistance now and again later.

Thank you all! Jerry

PS this is my first post.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:17 PM

not your thread

reply to: thewalzexperience

First rule... Don't hijack someone else's thread.

Post a NEW thread. Yours. AND, when you do... You need to include year, model, and real information about the truck. Is it a short bed, extracab, 4WD or 2WD, how many miles, rust condition, does it run, is it original (OEM exhaust, wheels tires...etc)

You need to learn how to post photos too.

EVERYONE wants to see it, and photos tell your story, saves words..

Step back, regroup, and when you start your own thread, we'll all congratulate you on your new toy.

Last edited by 83pingpong; 01-17-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Finnegan
Thanks! I ended up picking up a set of 30/9.50R15 Wild Country MXTs with about 3,000 miles for $100 each, it was the best deal I could find for non economy tires. Do I have anything to worry about with these?

Also my truck runs super rich and actually gets 15-16 with no lift and stock size tires, should I just try and clean the carbs and maybe adjust the idle circuit? It came from Helena Montana which is 4,000ft above my current location.
Excellent choice on tires. Maybe the previous owner of those tires didn't like the noise !
I am expert on VM or CV motorcycle carbs (or used to be), and I haven't dug into my stock carb yet. But you'll find help on the carb here. Check vacuum tubes/connections right away, and condition of your filter. Also, maybe your float bowl is overfilled. Can you see the level through the glass window?

Last edited by 83pingpong; 01-18-2014 at 04:31 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:25 PM

The only problem I've had with the tires is a bit of feathering but I'm pretty sure its form all the sliding around I've been doing in town since this is my first RWD (4WD when I get stuck which hasn't happened yet outside my driveway) that I've had during a winter and I am enjoying all 80hp of it.

As for checking the float level, I'll figure out where it is and check it when its warmish, but since its winter here most of the work on the truck is at a standstill. Right now I'm getting 13-14mpg with these winter remps and I just took out my carpet because SOMETHING, SOMEWHERE, is leaking a lot when it rains and I got tired of the musty smell. Also I have already learned to hate emissions/smog equipment. Thanks pingpong.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:31 PM

Front window bezel may be the leak. It shrinks and cracks with Summer Heat and daily diurnal flux (and age!). I sealed mine up temporarily using Permatex black silicone adhesive sealant. I bought new bezel but I'm waiting for paint job to replace the windshield. If you have gaps and cracks in the front winshield bezee, it drips on the left and right side and the floor fills with water. Mine dried out after sealing it up. Maybe that's what you have goin' on.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:02 AM

How much water leaks in yours? My floorboards collect more standing water than the metered amount of rain that fell that day. I swear there's a giant invisible funnel somewhere, also its only on the passenger side. Every time I'm off forums for a bit I forget how helpful they are.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:29 AM

Mine doesn't leak anymore, or at least doesn't leak enough to be visible anywhere. I used to see it dripping from the bottom edge of the metal dashboard within the last few inches from the side. No more. It doesn't get wet at all.

Do you have crqcks and visible gaps around the bezel? Wait until it's dry before you seal it up. Water left in there will continue to rust the metal around the bezel.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:30 AM

Besides waiting till its dry, I'll wait until its warmer than single digits too. There aren't any cracks in the window seal but the chrome accent strip is missing on one side because, I have no idea why, the previous owners made some strange decisions with this truck.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:08 PM

If there are not cracks across the bezel (perpendicular to the seam), there may be a gap between the molding and the metal (shrinkage?). I had a few cracks perpendicular to the seam, with a good 1/8th inch gap! And two of them were on the top seam. There were cracks on all four sides in fact. This truck sat in the Arizona sun for decades.

But you are right... it needs to be dry, and warm. I did mine after a dry spell when it was in the 80's during the day. But I let it cure in the garage where it would not get too hot in the sun. The black RTV seals it, and hides pretty well on the rubber, but it is not perfect. I have an new bezel in the basement, awaiting my body work and new paint. You can still get them.

Last edited by 83pingpong; 01-28-2014 at 05:46 PM.