Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

New engine burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New engine burning oil

Hey guys/girls I rebuilt my motor about a month ago and I noticed today as I accelerated a little blue puff of smoke out the exhaust when letting out the clutch and going. The motor got new rings, everything was cleaned, head fully rebuilt including, seals, valve job, guides ect. I am concerned about this as This motor has already been out 4 times in the last year I though I did it right this time I did everything. The motor has about 500+ miles on it
Is this normal at all?
Also where should I run a crank case breather right now I just have a oil breather filter sitting on top and oil bubbles out of it...
Please I need help with this.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:29 PM

To add to it it doesn't do it all the time I let he truck cool down and I went for a drive no blue smoke, earlier today I had driven throughout town and smelt a little when backing up and parking but saw barely any blue smoke if any. So its really only burning a little oil when it is completely warmed up what could cause this?
Could it be my breather? should I run a tube from the valve cover to where the air filter is so it lightly pulls those fumes into the intake?
Old 04-09-2012, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Subscribed...I have the exact same issue (not a rebuild though) that I've been trying to get rid of for a while now!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:28 AM

Also today on start up it blew blue smoke it's getting annoying. But when driving I didn't see and when driving. And sometimes it only does it when driving just a little and now on start up. I ran a tube from pcv to a vacuum line and a filter on the front hole on the valve cover. Before I only had a filter on the pcv and the other hole was plugged causing oil to bubble out the breather filter and building crank case pressure. Please help and let me know if this is right or what I should do.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:19 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Wow, you've had a string of bad luck with this truck haven't you. Don't worry, she'll treat ya right after you get through this initial stage.

Okay, sounds like a valve stem seal or a ring that didn't seat right. Bubbling oil cuz you're getting cylander press blowing by into the crankcase or head (I think).
1. Are you loosing noticable amounts (on dipstick) of oil, or is it just smoking some and blowing a little on the valve cover?
2. Pull the spark plugs one at a time and look for the one (hopefully only one) that's burning oil.
3. Do a compression check (preferably a bleed down). If they hold it's probably a valve stem seal (intake side if there's an oily plug, exhaust valve would burn the oil in the headder (I think). If it dosen't hold it's probably a bad/improperly seated ring. Check ALL cylanders for comparison.

On a side note, have heard that using synth oil for the break in period can cause the rings to not seat properly. You checked the gap on the new rings when you put them in right? Having trouble believing that it's the valve stem seals cuz you just had it rebuilt, but they coulda f-ed it up. Nobody's perfect.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:17 PM

Well so far I haven't burnt oil today while driving as I had a friend follow me while heading to school but on initial start up I got a cloud of smoke.
For the bubbling of the oil I ran a hose from the valve cover to a vacuum source and a filter on the other side of the valve cover to draw out the crank case fumes seems to be working so far.
It didn't start blowing blue until about a week ago and for it to blow blue on start up it
requires it to sit for several hours or over night or it will start up clean.
I pulled the plugs about a week ago and they all seemed fine just a little on the white side.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:51 PM

sounds more like a valve stem seal or (groan) a head gasget problem. Sounds like as the engine cools you're sucking oil into the combustion chamber from somewhere and it gets burnt when you fire up and then you're pushing compressed gasses into the crankcase/head while running. Were you burning oil when you checked your plugs last time? Either way, check now. Plugs are a great diagnostic tool and so much easier than anything else to help figure out wtf is wrong.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:57 PM

I'm hoping it's not a valve stem or head gasket issue. I'll pull he plus later tonight and see if there is any differences or oil on them. Should I check the plugs when it's hot or cold?
Old 04-09-2012, 03:02 PM

Cold. Hot plugs will burn your hands!
Dosen't really matter. Good luck. Really hope it's nothing too major.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:12 PM

Alright. And also could it have been from crank case pressure building up? I'll check the plugs when The truck cools down.
How critical would a valve stem seal be and how critical would the head gasket problem be?
Old 04-09-2012, 05:01 PM

So I just checked all the plugs and they looked fine one was just a little dirty with carbon or something but all were a light brown.
But I let it idle for a while when I was tuning it and. It was maybe 10 minute of idling and revved a few times and I then revved it again and a light cloud of blue smoke came out and a little white but thinking that was condensation as water was still coming out the exhaust...
Old 04-09-2012, 06:52 PM

The aforementioned are all great places to start. Pull the plugs, regularly, to see if there is one cylinder or another that seems to be gummy.

Try a compression test to verify that your rings seated properly. And always run a PCV- should go from your valve cover to your carb hat. Make sure the PCV isn't clogged either (take it out and see if it rattles when you shake it) to verify it is in working order.

Let us know what you find!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:26 PM

I pulled the Plugs earlier and they all looked a light brown with just a hint of white.
I have a pcv and I am sure it works... I sucked on it hah but I got air through
I will do a compression test here in a while and see what I find
Last I run the pcv to a vacuum source and on the front side of the valve cover I have a oil breather filter. (I would post a pic if I knew how)
Old 04-10-2012, 06:13 AM

None of the possible reasons for burning oil are "good", though I'm not hearing you say anything that worries me much. Super frustrating to just get done with a rebuild and have it burning oil! Looking foreward to hearing about the comp test. Did you follow "procedure" for breaking in the engine? No synth oil for the first 3k mi? The more I think about your issues, the more I think it's the rings, but that's just a "feeling". What kind/brand head gasget did you use? Just trying to help "head scratch" our way to the bottom of this.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:28 AM

I'm getting a compression test done today at school
I followed the break in procedure with zinc additive and Dino oil
The motor only has maybe 500-600 miles on it maybe the rings aren't fully seated yet
I used a fel-pro head gasket never had a problem with them before.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:13 AM

You got me stumped.
If the compression test checks out just pray to the toyota gods that the rings seat themselves and everything works out. You tried sweet talkin your truck? A little "Come on baby, don't do this to me.". Has been known to clear up an occasional gremlin.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sorry to butt in but I think you should give it a couple thousand miles and see if it goes away . the rings are my guess .
Old 04-10-2012, 12:28 PM

I got the numbers back 165-155-155-165
Old 04-10-2012, 12:55 PM

Sounds good. Like posted above, give her some miles, pray/hope, and see what happens. keep an eye on the plugs to make sure things don't "get bad". Should work itself out.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:04 PM

Yeah I'm gonna replace the plugs sometime and one of the compression numbers might have been 150 can't remember but still in spec

Quick Reply: New engine burning oil