Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Need Good Repair Resources!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Need Good Repair Resources!

Hey guys, this is my first post on YotaTech and I am excited!!!

I bought an 1980 Toyota pickup with the 20R and I have a bunch of small things that I want to take care of.

I have a lot of repair experience with older (Pre-nineties) trucks. Specifically I rebuilt a 1986 Jeep Comanche. But I know that it was totally a different wiring system in that.

I just need some good repair manuals, TSB's, and some all around good info to know about this old beast. She is in decent condition, but like with any car/truck even after you have them perfect there is always something that comes up.

I have the 20R stock motor been overhauled (probably) twice now. And I have the 55 Amp Alternator with the 5 pin Voltage reg. I got another fuse box from the junk yard that was in great condition and I plan on soldering it in as a replacement for the original one that is loosing teeth by the minute. I have some charging system problems and some overall wiring problems that I have encountered and I want some really good wiring diagrams that would probably be best represented in the original Toyota mechanic master tech manual. Does anybody know of some good sources or websites that would break down the electrical diagram better than the POS Haynes? the damn Haynes just gives me a headache trying to flip through pages just to find where a common ground is.

Thank you in advance guys and please feel free to bump or suggest anything that might help me.

-Cheo

Old 12-21-2013, 04:47 AM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Download the FSM for starts from here https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114...wnload-261385/
Old 12-21-2013, 07:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yrs download the Factory Service Manual for the 83. It can help you with a lot of items. As for more accurate wiring diagrams, look on AutoZones website. They are tricky to find but they should be on there. I think you will have to make one of those free member accounts to get them.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:28 AM

Lolz

Just so you guys know I work at Autozone as a store Manager (hence the lolz).

At work we don't have access to the wiring diagrams for cars but I forgot the home website actually does show the diagrams...

Also I love Alldatadiy and I used the professional version when I was going to college and rebuilding my jeep.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:47 AM

Thanks

Alright, the download is working.

I was trying to use Opera and the Rapishare website was just malwaring the crap out of my system. Switched to Firefox and the website was finally able to let me download the file.

Thanks guys for the info.

If anyone knows why the oil light and charge light used to come on in my truck and now when I put the key to the on position there are no lights at all that come on... that would be great. Otherwise I'm going to chase this electrical gremlin all the way. Or just rewire the son of a gun.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by crescentfresh.cheo
Alright, the download is working.

I was trying to use Opera and the Rapishare website was just malwaring the crap out of my system. Switched to Firefox and the website was finally able to let me download the file.

Thanks guys for the info.

If anyone knows why the oil light and charge light used to come on in my truck and now when I put the key to the on position there are no lights at all that come on... that would be great. Otherwise I'm going to chase this electrical gremlin all the way. Or just rewire the son of a gun.
That is a pretty common question/problem. I would advise to do a search with yotatech search and you should find multiple threads on that item. If that doesn't provide what you need, let us know.

Where are my manners... welcome to yotatech!
Old 12-21-2013, 12:21 PM

The fail is on my part now.

I need to buy a printer. Of course mine craps out right when I need it most. I also am confused by the search system on the website because when I search "Oil light, or charge light" completely irrelevant posts pop up all the time. Is there a way to reduce the amount of posts in the search that just have those words in them? I would rather read a post/thread just about the issue than look through pages of people talking about what's wrong with their rigs and most of them just guessing as to the circuitry.

For example "79-80 wiring issues explained" would be a good overall title. Maybe that will be my next project for the site.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:22 PM

Copy of Wiring circuit 80 Toyota.gif

is all I was really looking for. Simple and clean. I think it was on the Autozone website that I grabbed this one.
Attached Thumbnails Need Good Repair Resources!-copy-wiring-circuit-80-toyota.gif  
Old 12-21-2013, 03:13 PM

Yea I have all those for my 83. They are very simple to read.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Amazingly, AutoZone actually has really good diagrams. Be careful with wiring diagrams (from any source) because Toyota changed wiring colors like I change my underwear! They even did it in the middle of model years. I saw a 79 or 80 FSM out there somewhere, I'll see if I can hunt that down for you since you may want one that covers the 20R and the 4speed.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:59 PM

Update.

I'm not sure if I should post this in the same area or not, but I'll play this by ear for anybody still looking at this post.

History of work done so far.
Dropped and cleaned fuel tank.
Replaced Fuel line from tank to Fuel filter with Carb rated fuel line (Approx 8 ft)
New voltage regulator (This fixed the problem with having the oil and charge lights not coming on after verifying that the alternator was good.)
Battery is perfect and I always have it on a trickle charger when not in use.
Cleaned every ground wire connection I could find and took off wiring looms to verify no extensive rust or shorts.
Fuses have been verified good (the connections to the fuses are missing some teeth but I'm working on that soon.)
Replaced mechanical fuel pump and still having the same issue. (making sure my connections were the same)
Replaced fuel filter.

Problems I have right now.

I am not getting enough fuel into the carb. I hope i didnt put the wrong hoses on the wrong ports on the fuel tank, but I think thats the issue.
Does anyone know which ports from the top of the tank are what?

I have scoured the googlez, and I sometimes find fuel tanks for Landcruisers that should be similiar, but I think I put the wrong lines on to the fuel filter.
They are easy enough to get to but I cant find the labels for the right ports.
Outlet, Return and Vent.

I will draw a photo and update this post soon.

When I fill the bowl with fuel it will run for a few seconds with the choke closed but then it wont fill with fuel from the fuel pump.
As I'm writing this I'm pretty sure I routed the lines wrong, but just cant find a diagram.

Long winded, but I didn't want to omit helpful pieces.

Thanks guys, you are helping me out a lot!
Old 12-28-2013, 05:42 AM

Problems I have right now.

I am not getting enough fuel into the carb. I hope i didnt put the wrong hoses on the wrong ports on the fuel tank, but I think thats the issue.
Does anyone know which ports from the top of the tank are what?

I have scoured the googlez, and I sometimes find fuel tanks for Landcruisers that should be similiar, but I think I put the wrong lines on to the fuel filter.
They are easy enough to get to but I cant find the labels for the right ports.
Outlet, Return and Vent.

I will draw a photo and update this post soon.

When I fill the bowl with fuel it will run for a few seconds with the choke closed but then it wont fill with fuel from the fuel pump.
As I'm writing this I'm pretty sure I routed the lines wrong, but just cant find a diagram.

Long winded, but I didn't want to omit helpful pieces.

Thanks guys, you are helping me out a lot!
If you stand on the passenger side of the truck and face the gas tank the port on your left (towards rear of the truck) should go to the filter. The port on your right (facing the front of the truck) is the return line. Have you verified the hoses on the fuel pump are hooked up correctly? See pic below:

Name:  Desmog_23_zps3277e28d.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  113.5 KB

(in this pic is a weber carb. where the line is going to the fuel regulator is where it should connect on your stock carb)

If they are hooked up correctly then I believe you have a carb problem. Your float and needle may not be letting any fuel into the carb bowl. I had that problem after a carb rebuild I did.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:15 PM

Update

If they are hooked up correctly then I believe you have a carb problem. Your float and needle may not be letting any fuel into the carb bowl. I had that problem after a carb rebuild I did.
Did you mean that you had that problem before you did the rebuild, or after. Because I'm having that problem and I want to try the rebuild kit.

I just got done verifying all the fuel line connections to the tank and even took out the (OEM) fuel filter I just replaced a week ago to put in a see through filter (regular 1/4").

83Toyota88, you are a beast! Thanks for the photo, that really helps!!!
Old 01-02-2014, 01:17 PM

Did you mean that you had that problem before you did the rebuild, or after. Because I'm having that problem and I want to try the rebuild kit.

I just got done verifying all the fuel line connections to the tank and even took out the (OEM) fuel filter I just replaced a week ago to put in a see through filter (regular 1/4").

83Toyota88, you are a beast! Thanks for the photo, that really helps!!!
The problem was AFTER I did the carb rebuild and tried to adjust a new float per the FSM specifications. Ended up putting my old one back and it worked great.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Dang Stephen, stealin' my pics? How do you even have time for Yotatech, Don't you have some twins to tend to? LOL
Old 01-02-2014, 07:36 PM

Lol sorry for not quoting my sources properly Dave. Much easier to yotatech at work!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Free pass this time, but I'll send my copyright lawyer after your first born next time. Wait.... nevermind, I couldn't handle two infants!! LOL
Old 01-03-2014, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by kawazx636
Free pass this time, but I'll send my copyright lawyer after your first born next time. Wait.... nevermind, I couldn't handle two infants!! LOL
Ha my first born is the girl and the fussy one!
Old 01-06-2014, 12:52 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Old 01-21-2014, 02:53 PM

Smile Update

First off let me say thanks again guys for being helpful.

Guess what. The float in the Carb was TOASTTTTTTT....

I had the carb upside down with the old needle and float; the float would just shut the valve and stay closed... Even flipping over the carb didn't make it budge. I did a carb rebuild with a new float $6 and a carb kit from rock auto $9 warehouse clearance. (Cleaned out as much as I could, but not a complete overhaul.) Put all the new gaskets and pieces back in to spec. But now I still need to get a charge light relay and and fix the idle. The truck runs great with the choke closed but as soon as i kick the accelerator and the unloader kicks out and the idle just sucks.... But I know I'm not getting the full 14 volts from the alternator right now and the car is just trying to survive from the battery. I'll update you guys again in a little while.

Again thanks for all the help I'm glad I got the no start condition out of the way.

Quick Reply: Need Good Repair Resources!