Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Idle Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idle Problem

Bought the truck over the weekend..
Here are the symptoms..
Starts up no problem in the morning.. Cold start fine.. Idles about 1800 or so with no problems..
Once warm & idle goes to normal... It idles right at 750-800 RPM's (my understanding the correct idle sqeed) But seems a little rough..
Stalls consistantly when it wants to.. Then "poof" no more stalling but it still idles a little rough..
When I mean rough.. Almost like it has a small cam in it..
Or maybe a miss..??
But truck runs absolutely perfect under a load in any condition, whether wanting to stall or not..
BUT... I can tell when it will start stalling.. If in about 50% throttle under 45mph ish... it will start pulsing pretty good as if it is losing fuel...
Fresh oil & filter change.. Fuel filter.. & cap..
Sounds like a vacuum leak maybe..??

I know it is vague.. & hard to picture without seeing & hearing.. But hopefully someone can help me out...
Really want to get this truck running good before the lift & tires go on..
Thanks all!!
Old 11-01-2011, 04:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
@not far from par, the first thing i would suspect, is bad fuel. how long did the truck sit feeling neglected and lonely? lol. no really, did you pull gas cap and smell how bad the gas stunk? when i changed the gas filter on my 79 i would empty the gas into a white aerosol can cap so i could see how much trash/rust sediment, water,was in the fuel. then look through the semi transparent filter looking from the bottom of the filter while holding it towards light to check to check for rust sediment ,water etc. that will give you an idea of fuel condition. go ahead and throw a set of good ngk spark plugs in and inspect the old ones, maybe plug wires too, but you can check those by pulling them off one at a time if the idle does not change you have a bad plug or wire. as for the suspected vacuum leak spray wd 40 or other aerosol everywhere around carb and intake. if the idle changes you have found a problem. i remember changing fuel filters a lot on mine, maybe it was the cheap california gas i used to get, but if your gas mileage drops off significantly throw a filter at it and ask questions later,lol.i can also tell you stories about the pressure relief valve on the fuel pump. i ended up keeping one at all times, left me stranded more than once. i would change it and let toyota dealer replace it free.(part) but this was after i bought 20 or so. i finally "reengineered"the fuel systom .if you have problems with that hit me up i can tell you what i did to cure that problem for good. any way check it out and see what you come up with. mine did start running lousy, i ended up buying a rebuild kit, and rebuilding the carb. more complicated than motorcycles i fixed at work, lots of stuff left over but the truck ran great after.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by donomite49
@not far from par, the first thing i would suspect, is bad fuel. how long did the truck sit feeling neglected and lonely? lol. no really, did you pull gas cap and smell how bad the gas stunk? when i changed the gas filter on my 79 i would empty the gas into a white aerosol can cap so i could see how much trash/rust sediment, water,was in the fuel. then look through the semi transparent filter looking from the bottom of the filter while holding it towards light to check to check for rust sediment ,water etc. that will give you an idea of fuel condition. go ahead and throw a set of good ngk spark plugs in and inspect the old ones, maybe plug wires too, but you can check those by pulling them off one at a time if the idle does not change you have a bad plug or wire. as for the suspected vacuum leak spray wd 40 or other aerosol everywhere around carb and intake. if the idle changes you have found a problem. i remember changing fuel filters a lot on mine, maybe it was the cheap california gas i used to get, but if your gas mileage drops off significantly throw a filter at it and ask questions later,lol.i can also tell you stories about the pressure relief valve on the fuel pump. i ended up keeping one at all times, left me stranded more than once. i would change it and let toyota dealer replace it free.(part) but this was after i bought 20 or so. i finally "reengineered"the fuel systom .if you have problems with that hit me up i can tell you what i did to cure that problem for good. any way check it out and see what you come up with. mine did start running lousy, i ended up buying a rebuild kit, and rebuilding the carb. more complicated than motorcycles i fixed at work, lots of stuff left over but the truck ran great after.
The truck sat for AT LEAST 9 mo. before I became the new caring owner...
When I changed the fuel filter.. The fuel was a little murky..
I did instal a WIX filter which is clear & am keeping a close eye on it..
I will try the plugs & wires tomorrow & let you know how it goes..
Being I am leaving this motor relatively stock.. I'm assuming I don't need a set of 8mm or anything like that..
Truck is a short box.. I assume 13 gallon tank..
I am at 230 on the odometer with about 1/3 tank left..
So truck is getting pretty good mileage by my standards...

I really don't want to drop the tank down..
(not lazy.. just one of those things I HATE doing)
I will just run a few more tanks & see how it performs..
Other than the little idle glitch... Truck is running fantastic!!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
cool, happy wheelin!!!
Old 11-02-2011, 07:18 AM

Checked for vacuum leaks yet?
Old 11-02-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by skyhawk82
Checked for vacuum leaks yet?
No I have not..
Checked the filter.. & fuel is clean..
Pulled plug wires off 1 by 1 & all that did was make it miss under a load..
Under load it runs great..
Just at half throttle & idle hit & miss..
Starting dying again on the way home from work today
Old 11-03-2011, 02:36 PM

Update

Actually met a guy while getting my license plates & who would have known he was a Toyota whiz!!
Ended up being the emissions control module in the DS kick panel..
2 of the solder points got hairline cracks in them, causing intermitted contact.. hence my off & on idle problem..
5 minutes after talking to him.. POOF truck fixed..
2 drops of solder = easy cheap fix..
Would like to thank Mike for his insight..(Don't think he is a member though!)