Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

i have some problems.......79-no power

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have some problems.......79-no power

Ok, i have a 4x4 79 toy with a 20r and 4speed, i drove it last weekend, everything was working as it should. I go out to start it today and i have nothing, no lights didnt even try to turn over or anything. I have power down to the starter, all the fuses are good. WHATS WRONG WITH MY BABY!!!
Old 04-20-2012, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So you have power to the starter so it's obviously not the battery. and I'm thinking it's something other than the starter solenoid or you would have your lights and accessories. I'd start by checking the commong point in the system...the ignition switch. If you're not getting anything when you turn the key to 'acc' or any other position I'd start tracing things back from there and see if you've got a bad connection, maybe on your main power coming up to the ignition switch. Check your fuses and relays before you do anything though....sometimes it's the easiest fixes that are hardest to find. Let me know how it goes.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:33 AM

Received 664 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by mxstud1804
I have power down to the starter
Originally Posted by SPARKS89
So you have power to the starter so it's obviously not the battery. and I'm thinking it's something other than the starter solenoid or you would have your lights and accessories. I'd start by checking the commong point in the system...the ignition switch. If you're not getting anything when you turn the key to 'acc' or any other position I'd start tracing things back from there and see if you've got a bad connection, maybe on your main power coming up to the ignition switch. Check your fuses and relays before you do anything though....sometimes it's the easiest fixes that are hardest to find. Let me know how it goes.
Yes, agree with checking fuses, especially the large ones in engine compartment.

If fuses and battery are good, you should be able to turn on markers and headlights.

Did you measure voltage to the starter on the very thick wire that goes
directly to the battery? Did you use a volt-meter? How many volts did you see? it might be no load voltage (i.e., you're not cranking the starter).

Checked the voltage on battery?
Checked voltage on battery when you turn the accessories on?
Voltage on battery when you turn on the lights?

If voltage goes too low when you turn on lights or try to start, battery maybe discharged.

If you find nothing after all of the above, check FSM (link on my signature)
Old 04-20-2012, 01:09 PM

I am going to pick up a volt meter tomorrow. All of my fuses are good, I cleaned all the ground wires. Could the volt regulator cause a problem like this? I thank you all for the help
Old 04-24-2012, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Yes, agree with checking fuses, especially the large ones in engine compartment.

If fuses and battery are good, you should be able to turn on markers and headlights.

Did you measure voltage to the starter on the very thick wire that goes
directly to the battery? Did you use a volt-meter? How many volts did you see? it might be no load voltage (i.e., you're not cranking the starter).

Checked the voltage on battery?
Checked voltage on battery when you turn the accessories on?
Voltage on battery when you turn on the lights?

If voltage goes too low when you turn on lights or try to start, battery maybe discharged.

If you find nothing after all of the above, check FSM (link on my signature)
ok, so i have not had time to go to town to get a volt meter, but i have been goofing with it some, i jumped the started solenoid, the started did not engage, then i had somebody turn the key to the start position, and the starter engaged, and the lights also came on. I automatically thought it was the starter so i put a new starter on. It did not change anything.