Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

To galvanize or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To galvanize or not?

Got a quote for $850 to dip my frame in a tub o' molten zinc, after some preparatory chemicals (notably *excluding* one that strips paint, so I have to sandblast/strip the frame anyway). Seems high compared to others' projects I've seen, but this is Norcal... The only other plant around here wants over $1200.

I plan on painting the outside regardless. I want to galvanize the frame specifically for the inside. However, they say that if there's any paint inside, then the zinc won't stick and therefore the whole operation is a waste of $850 and a lot of hassle. I can't see in there well enough; did Toyota dip these frames in paint, or spray it on after welding?

Should I do it? I know the ultimate answer is "it's up to you", I'm just looking for perspectives and $.02's.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:01 PM

get some paint stripper if you plan to do it, if you do the frame will last forever
Old 07-09-2012, 05:09 PM

Received 222 Likes on 163 Posts
Well if you have the truck stripped I might just POR I guess? I have heard good things about the stuff and really if it is done right I can't imagine why the cost of galvanizing would make sense. Plenty of old rides running around that have been maintained that are OK. Its a tuff one that money could go to so many other things Plus are you talking the inside of the frame rails they say if there is any paint it wont work?? Wondering how it is possible to strip completely?
Old 07-09-2012, 05:19 PM

Received 275 Likes on 186 Posts
I agree with the above poster . I have used POR 15 for many years , and i love it , My Trekker frame is done inside and out with it as well . I believe it will last for many , MANY years with no issues and cost total was about 150 bucks and my time

Last edited by slacker; 07-09-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the idea of it. But I can't think of any way to be sure there is no paint on the inside. Unless you tape the holes shut and fill the inside of the rails with paint stripper. But that sounds expensive. Another, tougher, option for the outside of the frame is using a spray on bedliner after its blasted and etched. I would reccommend a boxliner that cures hard over a soft liner.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I cleaned my frame (just the back right now) with a flap disc and put a coat of rustoleum rust reformer on it and plant to put a topcoat of eastwood chassis black on top of the rustoleum. Should last a while. But POR-15 is a better option.

Name:  2012-07-06170243.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  445.4 KB
Old 07-09-2012, 06:20 PM

I'm not really interested in coatings done on the *outside* of the frame (well, I am, but that's not why I'd galvanize and it's not what I'm asking here). I'm interested in the *inside*. Yeah, they're saying that if there's paint inside the frame, which there there would be if the Toyota factory dipped the frame rather than spraying it, then the zinc won't adhere to it.

Slacker, you did the *inside* of your frame rails with POR? I've used POR with extremely mixed results: seems that it likes a very thorough prep job, otherwise it's not only worthless but actually makes rust worse. How on earth did you prep the inside of the rails? Special chemicals?
Old 07-09-2012, 06:29 PM

Received 222 Likes on 163 Posts
Even if Toyota didn't dip the inside I would imagine even getting the road grime/motor grease build up over the years would be a bugger to get to. But hey if you do it post pics
Old 07-10-2012, 05:24 PM

Received 275 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by moroza
Slacker, you did the *inside* of your frame rails with POR? I've used POR with extremely mixed results: seems that it likes a very thorough prep job, otherwise it's not only worthless but actually makes rust worse. How on earth did you prep the inside of the rails? Special chemicals?
it's a bit of a crap shoot ... but the cost between the 2 was the factor for me . even with the galvanizing , there is no guarentee .

I started with a "good" frame . clean up on the exterior was easy .
Inside , I first spent 6 hours just hosing and cleaning , inside every hole with a brush

then the metal ready , inside and out

then the final wash/rince and dry time .

inside and out was done using my "pressure pot" and a small paint brush ..
2 wands .. first is a rotating 360* "V" notch . Second is a 90* rotating .

I'm VERY happy with the way it came out ..

Old 07-10-2012, 07:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by slacker
it's a bit of a crap shoot ... but the cost between the 2 was the factor for me . even with the galvanizing , there is no guarentee .

I started with a "good" frame . clean up on the exterior was easy .
Inside , I first spent 6 hours just hosing and cleaning , inside every hole with a brush

then the metal ready , inside and out

then the final wash/rince and dry time .

inside and out was done using my "pressure pot" and a small paint brush ..
2 wands .. first is a rotating 360* "V" notch . Second is a 90* rotating .

I'm VERY happy with the way it came out ..

You make me feel ashamed of my frame now lol you did an excellent job!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:31 PM

I would POR-15 or Magnet Paint Chassis Saver the outside, and for the inside I would use Eastwood Internal Frame coating. I just bought 12 cans and am doing my 4runner and then my '83. It's an aerosol can with a 2' length of hose and spray nozzle on the end, that you fish into the frame holes. I taped off all the holes, and remove the one I spray into, so the other ones don't drip out. Already sprayed 1 can for a test run and it comes out pretty darn good. Seemed to get some good reviews, and it was my only choice seeing that my trucks are still driving and I am not doing a frame off!

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...ay-nozzle.html