Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Birfield eliminator and widening kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Birfield eliminator and widening kit

Does anybody run this on here? I was looking at Sky's kit and couldn't tell if I need IFS Hubs or if I keep my old hubs off my 83. I see that you can use the bigger Ifs v6 rotors and calipers but I am not sure on the hub part!

Please chime in if you know,

Thanks, Bryan
Old 05-25-2007, 04:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as I can tell

The Birfield kit and the widening kit are seperate.

To go "wider" you can either run wheel spacers, or weld a spacer on to a hub but further out....

Oh yeah - on the IFS trucks - thats what Toyota did - welded the hub flange 1.5" per side wider..

So - to go wider you use IFS hubs on a SA front axle.

Keep the SA manual hubs, the IFS spline count is different...
Old 05-25-2007, 07:15 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Birf eliminator kits suck. Get Longfield 30 splines.

Last edited by rworegon; 08-18-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:21 PM

Why does it suck? I was planning on chromo-shafts and CTM's.

So with the widening kit you have to get IFS hubs? correct?

Bryan
Old 05-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4runnin2

Bryan
Buy it if you want, but it is a poor option compared to 30 spline Longfields.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...eld+eliminator

Old 05-26-2007, 04:08 PM

Good counterpoint. That is an excellent reason to go with the birfields over the eleminator kit. I asked why does it suck and you don't have an explanation why? It just sucks?

I was reading on Sky's site that he runs 37" tires with his (BEK)and has no problems. Do the longfields have any type of tire size restrictions for warranty?

I don't plan on running over a 36" tire. I have chromo shafts on my jeep and 37" tires and haven't had any problems over the past 4-5 years. I just don't know alot about the birfield axles and what they can handle. Some of the guys I run with run 35" tires on stock axles and break one every now and then. I know they suck to fix on the trail, other than that, thats about all I know about them.

Bryan

Last edited by 4runnin2; 05-26-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:57 PM
Banned

Good counterpoint. That is an excellent reason to go with the birfields over the eleminator kit. I asked why does it suck and you don't have an explanation why? It just sucks?

I was reading on Sky's site that he runs 37" tires with his (BEK)and has no problems. Do the longfields have any type of tire size restrictions for warranty?

I don't plan on running over a 36" tire. I have chromo shafts on my jeep and 37" tires and haven't had any problems over the past 4-5 years. I just don't know alot about the birfield axles and what they can handle. Some of the guys I run with run 35" tires on stock axles and break one every now and then. I know they suck to fix on the trail, other than that, thats about all I know about them.

Bryan
Did you bother at all to read that thread? Yes, BEK kits suck compared to 30 spline Longfield Super Axles. www.longfieldsuperaxles.com

Go to www.pirate4x4.com to the Toyota 4Runner forum and ask your question there...and see what they say.

Or search "birfield elminator kit" for yourself on pirate4x4.com and see what the general consensus is on the BEK kit...I just tried to be nice and sum it up for you and save you a lot of reading...it sucks.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I too was wondering about the Birfield Eliminator kit and talked to some guys that had it and than converted back to Birf's. The benefits and life expectancy of the BEK don't justify the expense. You are basically turning a toyota axle into a dana and then get all the fun stuff like u joint bind.
I will be investing in Longfield's in the near future for my '81-a ton of people use them over the BEK...something to be said about market share, they have a warranty etc..etc..it is your truck so you can make the choice...

Last edited by rworegon; 08-14-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:04 PM

I was talking to a guy on a trail once and he said he was running a BEK in his axel. He said that it had no trouble turning his 37's but there was always some u-joint thumping at full lock.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:06 AM

Looks like if I run the longs I will have to upgrade the ring and pinion to a hardened or chryo-treated, upgrade the pinion flange and upgrade the driveshaft to be more heavy duty. I am thinking these things will be the next weakest link. Does this sound about right?

Bryan
Old 05-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like if I run the longs I will have to upgrade the ring and pinion to a hardened or chryo-treated, upgrade the pinion flange and upgrade the driveshaft to be more heavy duty. I am thinking these things will be the next weakest link. Does this sound about right?

Bryan
cryo ring and pinion will help for strength, the stock pinion flange is fine, stock driveshaft should be fine for rotational torque, but if you play in the rocks a thick tube shaft will resist denting and weakening, the R/P will always be the weakest link in a Toyota axle, the cryo will make it last longer but they will eventually break, i got about 3 years out of my 5.29 rear set, running nothing smaller than a 36" tire i was running 39.5" iroks at the time of failure, also you should be investing in some hub upgrade parts
Old 05-27-2007, 12:46 PM
Contributing Member

Bryan
I video taped the test done to see how strong each set-up was. The birfield eliminator was only marginally stronger than the stock set-up. 30 spline longs are as strong if not stronger than a stock 35 spline D60.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:04 PM

Talking sa widing and brake upgrade

Ok, so here's whats up I'm going to try to break this down. The very first thing you have to do is go to your local napa auto and ask for a set of 1984 fj60 landcruiser rotors, then you need your ifs hubs and your sa lock out mechaninsm, and the lug studs from the sa hubs, (you now no longer need the sa hubs once you get the studs out) now that you have these parts assorted you can slip the fj60 rotor on to the ifs hub the same way the old one came off, now slip the studs in, you will notice they are a little loose its ok, what you have just done is what gives you your inital 1.5" on each side. Now you can weld these peices together and warp the rotor and make it none replaceable, or you can do what i did and go to trail gear.com and a set of 1.5" or greater wheel spacer's that your sa studs can go into. this will bolt the whole unit together and make not just 3" wider but up to 9" wider. Then you can use the larger v6 calipars. I'm still fighting for patten rights but nothing says i can't share information.
NOTE: TORQE SPECS. ARE 100FT. ON BOTH THE SPACER AND THE WHEEL,
you will also want to have the rotors turned once you have the unit assembled and TORQED YOU DO NOT WANT IT TO COME APART ON THE LAITHE.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:09 AM

BEK kit facts

Originally Posted by BruceTS
I video taped the test done to see how strong each set-up was. The birfield eliminator was only marginally stronger than the stock set-up. 30 spline longs are as strong if not stronger than a stock 35 spline D60.
so if the BEK kit was marginally stronger then is it really worthe it to spend the extra $100-$175 more for the HD BIRFIELD?, I mean yeah the inner shaft might be as strong if not stronger then the d60 but what do you think is going to blow first a stock shaft or a birf. and another thing that is to be considered is, when in full turn while full lock is engaged what do you think is going to hold up longer, the HD BIRFIELD or the BEK kit? plus you have the option of aussie or CTM u-joints, and trail side fix is alot easyer and faster. I'm not trying to cut ANYONE down or nock a product, but I always see feedback on "super birf.s" and i want some hardcore facts on why its not a good idea to use the BEK kit? What fails? WHAT DOESN'T WORK?
Old 09-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Banned

Learn to search.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...eliminator+kit

Old 09-06-2008, 12:28 PM

Talking BEK Kit

alright, thank you thats what i was looking for. But still it seemed to hold up for quite a while before they broke so its not a bad idea, but i will more than likely go with the bobbylongs.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:14 PM

Marfields or Longfields? Which is mo' bettah?
Old 09-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

The Longfields are wonderful. I have cryotreated 5.79's and they have been great too. At this point my weakest link are the warn hubs I have on there and frankly I'd rather a hub break before my R&P. (Thus the reason I am hesitant to put my aisin's back on - since those are bomb proof too). Still the Wabbit is right: Longs over a BEK - because with that you really should then do cryo joints in the knuckles and those get pricy fast too... not to mention I have seen those break!
Old 09-06-2008, 02:46 PM

I have Warn hubs, 'cause I'd rather bust a hub than a Birfield - less work. And getting Aisin hubs off can be, um, trying at times. That cone thing? No.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

Oh the cone washers on Aisin's are no biggie is you have a brass drift... But yeah...

Quick Reply: Birfield eliminator and widening kit