Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

'83 Hilux 2.2 Power Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'83 Hilux 2.2 Power Issues

Hi all, not sure if I'm posting in the right section but I have a first gen hilux - 1983 ln46 dual cab... Had it for about a month now...
Anyway started it up after work no problems, glow plugs worked and I got home. Then when I shut it down the charge light came up on the dashboard, so I went to turn it on and none of the dash lights came on, except for the oil pressure, and the glow plugs have stopped working...

For a couple of days to get around the problem I disconnect the cables on the alternator which will then let the glow plugs come on and then I plug the cables back in and start it up

Today I had a look and found a disconnected ground cable so I cleaned the ground connections up and fixed the broken one. I also checked inside the voltage regulator...when the car is off both contacts are closed?? If I disconnect the loom from the alternator they both open again...

After playing around still have no luck, but I stared the truck up and now it won't shut down either

Would anyone know whats going on??

Thanks
Alex

P.S. Any recommendations for a service manual??
Old 10-29-2015, 08:08 PM

alternator wires maybe hooked up backwards.have a b2600 that i wired a different alternator up in and it wouldn't shut off. switched wires around it was good. it would be easy to check.im sure someone with more knowledge than i have will post. hop its easy fix
Old 11-06-2015, 05:15 PM

Welcome!

Service manual? Search eBay and Amazon for a used Factory Service Manual paper copy. Haynes/Chilton may or may not have one for the diesel. Their one for the gassers is not great.

There's a 1985 FSM floating around this site, but it doesn't cover the diesel. Neither does my 1983 FSM. I have a 2LT/3L supplement for the 1990 FSM, but the engine wiring might be different, the chassis wiring is definitely different, and it doesn't cover anything specific to the 1L or 2L. Also for 1990 there were major changes to the diesels (the heads) when the 3L came out. Message me with your email if you want a copy anyway.

Not many diesel Toyotas in the US (and therefore on this board), and I've never seen an L motor in person. Most diesels of that type and age seem to be 1-wire, in that you need 12V constantly running to the fuel cut solenoid on the back of the pump. If that power gets interrupted, the valve closes via an internal spring, and no more fuel is delivered, so the engine shuts down. So that makes four possibilities: 1. it's a zero-wire type and needs to be closed by a vacuum or electrical solenoid that isn't working (old Mercedes and some Peugeot are like this; I'm not aware of others), 2. it is in fact a 1-wire and the solenoid is stuck, 3. you have bizzare grounding/power issues and possibly a defective ignition switch, or 4. you're burning so much oil that it's running away (doesn't sound to be the case).

Easy stuff first: check your alternator wires as suggested, and check your other grounds. Bad grounds will cause all kinds of strange problems even on minimally-wired rigs like ours. Excellent grounds make your headlights brighter

Last edited by moroza; 11-06-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:16 PM

I agree with moroza that electrical issue with fuel cut off. Usually when the fuel cut off goes bad it won't run but sounds like your electrical is all messed up. Did you check voltage off and running?