Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

78 Toyota Pickup/Chinook

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 03:02 PM
wf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil filter for 78 Toyota Pickup

Hi All,

Any of you out there have a 78 Toyota Pickup/Chinook?

And, if so, have you had problems finding the right oil filter for it?

I was trying to change the oil today on my camper, and, of course, the oil filter was stuck. Eventually, I got it off, and the oil filter that they gave me at the store didn't match up (it was half the size of the one I took off the camper). So I brought both of them back down to the store, and I read off the code on the original oil filter to the guy, he brought me out one that looked to be the correct size (a Frame). And, I put that on. Well, you can guess what happened next.....

Valdez oil spill down the driveway. Luckily there weren't any pelicans or dolphins around.

Anyways, I decided it might be a good idea to check in the owners manual. (Probably should have done that from the get-go. No kidding!)

So, I did, and it said to use "Nippondenso 15601-44010".
Of course, they didn't have that at the store. They said they could special order it, and it would take 5 days. They showed me a picture of it on their computer and it was a large filter, just like the one I'd gotten off the camper originally.

But, they said that their computers were matching up to an ACdelco PF13 5579164 oil filter. But this oil filter was half the size of the original oil filter.

Anyways, has anyone else had this problem? If so, do you usually have to special order your oil filters?

Last edited by wf; 02-28-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:20 PM

78...that 20r? Never had a problem getting an oil filter, I would go with whatever they have that fits even if it's half the size, I'm sure oil filters have come a long way since the original ones.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:19 AM

i am a 22r. if its a 20r good chance they didnt change the thread-pitch on the oil filter threads but that is just a guess...for my truck , at oreilys/kragen i get a WIX filter# 51516. this is a filter NOT designed for the model, but has same thread/sealing surface AND is longer and holds more oil (not much). you can also just ask for a 22r filter and compare. hope this helps
Old 02-29-2012, 06:02 AM

Did you check to see if the rubber seal from the old filter came off with it? If you have a double seal you'll leak oil quickly. Otherwise, when I changed my oil for the first time, the Fram that I got from the parts store was definitely smaller than the one I pulled off, worked fine. Could just be a superseding part number.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:42 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm not sure about the 20r but the 22r will take a phram PH8A (i think). It's the same filter that went on my dad's 74 ford with a 460. They're all I've ever run. about 2x capacity on the stock 22r filter.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:27 PM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
No personal horror stories, but Fram seems to have a lot of them...Many people will tell you not to ever use a Fram filter.

I use Napa. There shouldn't be a problem with getting a filter for that thing. There are plenty of guys on this forum with 20r's, so hopefully someone will jump in and let you know what they do. It's usually just a matter of knowing what you need, with these old vehicles. There's a part, probably for a 22r, that will work, but the auto part guys might not know that.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:03 PM
wf

Ya, it's a 20r engine. I did get a half size one, but I think I'm gonna hold out till the other one they ordered me comes in. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's the original oil filter that the User's Guide recommends to get. The Japanese filter. When I get it, and try it out, I'll let y'all know if it works.

The Fram one that I tried, was the one that leaked all over the place. I'm not sure why exactly that happened. I'm assuming it was the wrong sized filter. Not to say Fram might not make one that does work. Just that, you don't get too many shots to get one that works. Everytime you fail, you get a rainbow colored stream going down the driveway. And for some reason, the neighbors don't like all the pretty colors. Not sure why.