Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

1980 20r in a cold weather climate?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 05:02 PM
ltj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1980 20r in a cold weather climate?

I've searched, and haven't found much in the way of definitive answer.

I'm soon moving to Anchorage, Alaska. I'm in search of a good Alaska truck, and have always loved the 1st gen Yotas. I actually have my eye on one now, that I'll be going to look at tomorrow. I'm currently in Georgia.

I feel that an FI (22re) or diesel may be suited better. Does anyone have any experience with these carbs/motors/trucks in cold weather, and can tell me otherwise? What adjustments would I need to make (other than carb adjustment) for the cold weather of AK? How well would this type of truck do on a long, 4,000 mile trip?

I'm hoping to hear some evidence/experience in a good way, as I truly want a first gen.

Any info or advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4k mile trip in an 80. lol gonna feel like you were riding a motorcycle by the end.
when i had my 20r n my 80 it would do good in the cold. but with the 32/36 weber it would run a lot better with the manual choke option. i had it for a few years at 6800 ft here in az and yes it gets cold damn cold and lots of snow. it always would start and never had to use starting fluid. reliable motor.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
If you get a 20R or 22R truck (79-83), a Weber with a manual choke is pretty much a necessity in extremely cold weather. You're also going need to install a block heater - pretty much everybody in Alaska has them. That would certainly help on the cold starts.

As far as the journey out to AK from GA, I'd make sure the truck is reliable. I'm currently building my '83 truck, but once it is done I would drive it anywhere and any distance; HOWEVER, I know that I built it and that it is built right. Would I trust somebody else's mechanical knowhow to get me aross the Country? Probably not, unless I had some time for the truck to prove itself.

Make sure that you bring a stocked tool box with you: metric wrenches, metric sockets, screw drivers, pliers, etc. You should also have some extra motor oil, oil filters, gear oil, grease, spare fuel filters, etc. Just make sure you have everything you need to do some roadside repairs. These trucks are very simple so you really don't need many tools if you have problems on the road.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:41 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I missed that you would be driving this out there.

That's a long trip.

My truck did trips that were 2,000 mile round trips. In the summer. It was an 83, with a rebuilt 22R and transmission.

They're aren't great road trip trucks. But with the right attitude, it's a fun adventure.

A carbed truck isn't the best in cold climates, but that's ok. Obviously people drove in Alaska before fuel injection was invented.

My truck didn't like to start on cold mornings after snowstorms, with a rebuilt stock carb. Kept in the garage, though, it always started right up. Unheated, uninsulated garage, but that was enough.

Another thing with my 83 (can't say if this is true for all first gens), is that it sucked in the winter. High center of gravity, light back end. Much worse than my 86, 87, 92 or 93 Toyota pickups, in the snow.

But while I had my 83, my other car was a 93 Subaru Loyale, with 4wd. With studded snow tires. Only thing better, driving around town in a snowstorm than that car, would be a snowmobile. Unstoppable.

So that's what I had to compare my truck to. And my truck sucked. Just absoluted sucked, compared to that car. The back end would slide around at even the hint of ice or a turn.

But these trucks are awesome, even though they're kind of death traps. Just need to learn how to drive them.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I kept the old leaf spring packs from my Chevy when I got new springs for it. When I have to drive either pickup unloaded on snow or ice I put two or three of the spring packs in the back. Since I don't have a bunch of sand bags. It helps. I also go slow.