Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

1979 4x4 at a Crossroads

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 03:16 PM
JKS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1979 4x4 at a Crossroads

Well first off let me say that this is a great site. Lots of nice trucks and lots of info. I've got a 79 Toyota in really nice condition but I'm kind of at a crossroads with it. I bought it for a secondary vehicle so that I don't have to drive my dually all the time. At times parking it can be a real pain!
I've always been into the 4x4 scene but this is my first Toyota. I love the truck but at times it really just doesn't have enough power. It seems to like to run around 60 mph. 70 is really pushing it, especially with the a/c on. And with the new speed limits at 75 seems like I'm spending a lot of time on the shoulder of the road letting cars go by. Some friends of mine tried talking me into a v8 conversion and I gave it a lot of thought and looked around on a lot of forums but people really seem to like original toyotas. So I hate to go modding mine all up. I know the choice is up to me but I guess I'm looking for some advice.
Is there mild mods that will help the 20r have more power? Should I look to sell it and get something to better suit me?
It's not a off roader. I mainly use it to run around town and such. I tried pulling my 17 ft aluminum boat once but that didn't work out so well. Anything much bigger that a lawn mower and the truck just has a hard time.
Anyhoo, any thoughts or comments would be great.
The truck is stock with the exception of the tires and wheels.
Photos:

Name:  DSC_1376_zpse851749b.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  115.9 KB

Name:  DSC_1370_zps539982e3.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  127.3 KB

Name:  DSC_1389_zps23407a77.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  123.4 KB
Old 04-22-2013, 03:40 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
3rz swap
Old 04-22-2013, 04:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vital22re
3rz swap

^x2^
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=19275.0
http://toyonlyswaps.com/

WOW thats an outstanding 1st gen...

Last edited by donomite49; 04-22-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can't cruise at 70 then there is a problem. Is the truck a 5spd?

I'm not sure how much more power the 22re has over the 20r but my larger heavier 85 xtra cab on 35's can cruise at 70 all day long and still has some power to spare.

It kinda sounds like you need a rebuild or new engine.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:56 PM

wow beautiful truck... please keep her original... I kick my self everytime I see a bone stock truck and wish I would have just restored mine
Old 04-22-2013, 06:01 PM

Stunning truck. I would leave her stock regardless and either sell her or just get used to cruising nice and slow!

How many miles are on the engine? It might be time for a rebuild.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
3RZ swap..
I read in your other thread that your truck was towed behind an RV (& by the looks of the tow bar) you are gonna want to rebuild your transfer case (unless the PO owner pulled the rear d/s or has a rear d/s disconnect) Toyota transfer cases do not get lubed properly when flat towed even with the t/c in neutral.
Cool looking truck though. I have had mine for 6 years..I wouldn't recommend over 65..the
Old 04-22-2013, 06:51 PM

if you put larger than stock tires on that beautiful truck it could be part of the problem. numerically larger geared third members could help.

check your factory plate on the firewall for the gear code and look into getting new-used third members.

as stated, what's the mileage? it might need a refresh.

good luck and I wouldn't do anything drastic to that truck. and i'd keep all the original parts in a box when you mod anything.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:21 AM

I have to agree with PHILDELFINO, most of your problem is gearing. When you install larger tires you have to compensate for the change with lower gears to keep the engine torque / power curve close to where it was before the change. The 20R has the best head of all the 20 /22 R series motors.

As far as motor swaps, I would not do it. I thought about that change also looking at putting a V8 motor in mine. I decided on a LC Engineering stage 5 pro-stroker along with some of my own engine mods (I do not like people passing me at times) and I have plenty of power plus reliability.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:13 AM
JKS

Thanks for the compliments guys! I looked at several Toyotas before buying. This was actually listed on craigslist with very few words describing it. I passed the ad up many times before deciding to call. When I spoke with the owner I knew he had a very nice truck. The story behind the truck is the original owner bought the truck to tow behind an RV, which it has all the wiring and towing components necessary for that task, and shortly after buying it had a stroke/heart attack and was unable to travel anymore. The truck made very few trips behind the RV. The person I bought it from come across the truck and bought it from the original owner. He said it was in wonderful condition but had been sitting for many years and the sun had burnt the clear coat on the hood and cab. So he had it repainted. The second owner kept it for 12 years in a very nice shop. He stated that he drove it a couple years then bought a newer truck and very rarely drove it after that, maybe putting 500 miles a year on it. He mostly drove it in parades or to the local car show for a conversational piece. He asured me the mileage was correct and hadnt rolled over. Its currently at 71,500 and some change.....The only proof to support that is a hand written maintenance log in the back of the owners manual. States the mileage and what was done to the vehicle all the way from 0 to when I bought the truck with 68,000 miles.
I dont think the engine is wore out. It doesnt smoke, dosent burn a drop of oil, and cranks and idles perfectly every time .
I havent check the compression, maybe Ill check it when I get back from this bussiness trip. Just to see what its at.
Some other info on it...it is a manual 4 speed and Im running 30x9.5x15 tires on it. Not sure on the gearing, Im sure its stock whatever that might be. Ill check when I can.
Thanks for the input so far guys....maybe I'll get it figured out what I want to do next.......
Old 04-23-2013, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I would recommend regearing it as well; however, your increase in tire size isn't truly all that drastic. The stock tire size on those truck was in the neighborhood of 28.5x9 or so. You're really not pushing much larger rubber with 30x9.5. The 4 speed tranny does pull down your top end a little bit, but it should still handle 60mph easily and 70mph at a mid range RPM.

I had a similar problem with my 83 when I bought it, but it was much worse - my truck wouldn't go much faster than 50mph in 4th gear and wouldn't even pull 5th gear at all. It had some heavy 33" tires on it, but that wasn't the problem. At some point the previous owner decided that he knew how to work on a carb and adjust the timing. My timing was retarded about 5 degrees and every adjustment on the carb was completely off! I was getting about 5-8 MPG and no power before I adjusted everything and got 17-19 MPG and even chirped some big ole 33" tires after I adjusted everything. Then later got a weber and desmogged for even better results. Now I'm rebuilding and restoring everything.

What I'm getting at with that rant is try the little "free" stuff first - Timing (there can be a lot of power loss with poor timing), carb adjustments/cleaning, ground connections, compression, etc. Then go to the more costly/involved modifications like installing a weber or new gears. There is no reason that the infant motor you have shouldn't be able to pull on the high end unless your rings are burned up and you have no compression.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
oh, and by the way, nice truck!! ...Please, Don't hack it up!!
Old 04-23-2013, 04:17 PM

That is a SEXY BEAST...A good tune up, Bosch Platinum Plus 4 plugs will help a LOT...79's had lower gears from the factory ( I don't remember the ratio though) There is a chart on Marlin... a 5 speed swap would help with highway cruising..

I do agree with not cutting it up, but it is "your" truck...
Old 04-23-2013, 05:24 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by gmack192
That is a SEXY BEAST...A good tune up, Bosch Platinum Plus 4 plugs will help a LOT...79's had lower gears from the factory ( I don't remember the ratio though) There is a chart on Marlin... a 5 speed swap would help with highway cruising..

I do agree with not cutting it up, but it is "your" truck...
DO NOT RUN THE BOSCH plugs. They aren't a good mix for the toyota ignition. The factory ignition runs best on ngk or denso.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:02 PM
JKS

Thanks for the input guys. After all the comments I think I'll just leave it in its stock form. Ill give it a good going over and go from there. I'd do a search on suspension and look at maybe updating that. The poor ole shocks have lived a long life.
I think everyone appreciates these older truck more in a stock form.
I like driving it, always gets comments where ever it stops.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:13 PM

DO NOT RUN THE BOSCH plugs. They aren't a good mix for the toyota ignition. The factory ignition runs best on ngk or denso.
Been running them for years (in at least 4 trucks & a Corrola) never had a problem.....Just my opinion...
Old 04-25-2013, 07:00 PM

X2 my truck hated the bosch plugs and is so much smoother and more responsive with NGKs
Old 04-26-2013, 06:13 PM

Received 275 Likes on 186 Posts
nice lookin' rig ..

I agree , it would be a shame to "hack it up"

Old 04-26-2013, 06:39 PM
JKS

Thanks! I'm not going to hack it up, just to nice of a rig to do that. Although I wish we had trails here in Texas so that I could make is somewhat of a trail rig. They shut everything down here a few years back.
I'm planning to update the tired suspension, get me some nice looking tube style bumpers for it, install my warn winch, and maybe look into some mild engine mods for the ole 20r to make it more highway capable. I did order myself a Haynes manual to get more familiarized with my rig. Should help keep me from asking more simple questions.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:23 AM

You're truck probably has 4:37's in the diff's, without an overdrive you're probably pushing 2500 rpm at around 60-65mph. I wouldn't expect the truck to wanna cruise at 75 mph. If anything the 30 x 9.5 tires are helping you at top end speeds.

Quick Reply: 1979 4x4 at a Crossroads