Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

Underdog Racing (URD) Competition Clutch Stage III 3.4 (5vz-FE)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 02:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Underdog Racing (URD) Competition Clutch Stage III 3.4 (5vz-FE)

Since I never was able to find a review of this clutch I thought I would do a quick one since it impressed me this past weekend.

Here is a link to it.

This past summer I completed a 3.4 swap into my 1st gen 4Runner. I was originally going to pick up a stock Toyota clutch since I had read that many are happy with it, even under higher horsepower applications. I was worried about this since my experiences with stock Toyota 3.0 clutches weren't the best when it came to holding power under a load.

I am happy to say that now that I have almost 1500 miles on it, I am I glad I spent the extra money. Not only has the clutch been able to handle everything that I have thrown at it from the new supercharged 3.4, but it also has exhibited excellent holding power under a towing load.

With the 3.0 and stock toy clutch I would have trouble towing up a grade without clutch slippage. It wasn't horrible, but definetly noticeable. With the new setup there was none at all. This is with 3k lbs behind a 1st gen, which is pretty much to capacity.

As far as pedal feel and effort, there is no more effort needed than with the stock 3.0 pressure plate and the feel is nice and crisp now that it is past its break-in period. It does feel like it engages lower on the pedal throw than the stock 3.0, but this just might be a factor related to the new clutch slave cylinder that was installed simultaneously. Either way, it doesn't present a problem at all.

In choosing the clutch I wanted something that would be able to hold the new power and last so I wouldn't be dropping the trans anytime soon. I think this clutch is fitting the bill...but only time will tell on longevity. My gut feeling tells me that it is going to do fine.

Last edited by theMonch; 11-22-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Update

Earlier tonight I sat in two hours of slow moving traffic. This is something I have experienced a few times before being from NJ and having owned my truck forever. I can academically say that pedal effort and feel is absolutely not increased with this clutch from a stock Toy 3.0 unit.