Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

Powerflares

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 09:57 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Powerflares

As seen in this thread, these use LED lights instead of a flame like a regular road flare uses.

These come in two formats, a replaceable battery type (CR 123), and a rechargeable type.
At the time I wrote this, to get the rechargeable ones you must buy then in a six pack which comes with a case they all fit into and it plugs into a 12v outlet.

I got to use these at work on 1-16-2008.
I often move freight at work on a shuttle when it is dark out.
Workers come into work when it is still dark out, and I usually set out orange safety cones around my shuttle so they will see that the shuttle is there and not drive into it.

For the most part that works, but often workers drive in to fast, I guess they are in a hurry to find their favorite parking spot and get inside to get that first morning coffee.

I set one Powerflare on top of my safety cone, and it was visible clear at the other end of the parking lot.
I was really impressed with it.

Later in the day when it was light out I had to use the shuttle again over at the corporate building where they often drive in very fast too.
I set the Powerflare about 15' behind the shuttle so they would have plenty of warning that I was working there.
I talked to a few of them and they said they could see it very well and though it was a great idea for safety.

Here is a video I made at home showing the various patterns the Powerflare is capable of doing.

[YOUTUBE]6xtGxfPUj3o[/YOUTUBE]

I am going to dispose of my road flares I carry now as soon as I find out the correct way to dispose of them.

These Powerflares are a lot safer, and I can see many uses for them from working along side the road if your vehicle breaks down, in the back country where you need help, to using them at work like I did the other day.

They are also waterproof down to about 80', the number of uses for these you can come up with is many.

Links:
Website
Online store
Red/amber LEDs with orange shell (I ordered a yellow shell instead)
PDF file I scanned in of the brochure that came with them
Old 01-17-2009, 03:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow those are pretty bright,and look quite durable..
how long do those little batteries last??
did you just buy the 1???

post up if you find out about disposing of flares..my hilux has a factory one and its from 91 so i imagine its not good by now.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Nope, I bought two.
The owner threw in a carry bag and two extra batteries, and two caribeeners too.

Here is the scoop on the battery.
You will need a PDF viewer to read my scan.
http://www.pnw4runners.com/fj/safety/powerflare.pdf
Old 01-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old flares can be disposed of in most areas by taking them to your local fire station. Some areas have a community hazardous waste collection centre or else run special 'Hazmat' days with special temporary collection sites.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i'll take your old road flares corey
Old 01-18-2009, 04:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW 150 hours on these little batteries!!
dam we use these batteries in these little led lights at work and they use alot more power than that.. and there isnt nearly as many leds...
talk about efficiency!
Old 01-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Paul, I will call the local FD.

Chris, they are yours if you want them, but they are old, from around '91 or so I think when I bought recovery stuff for my '90 Xtracab.

bigt, that is 150 hours though with it on low level constant flash.
The owner had told me too that somewhere you can purchase a CR123 rechargeable and get a charger from them.
That would cut the cost if using these often.

Put them both in my carry bag I got, and will throw them in the rig tomorrow morning when I head to work.
I was lazy this weekend and did not even clear out the old flares yet from the cargobox.