Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

My first trip to Gold Mountain, and wheelin' in general

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first trip to Gold Mountain, and wheelin' in general

So this is my little "THANK YOU" to everyone here at Yotatech! What seems like many years ago I bought my 1991 4x4 with the intent of going from knowing how to do my own oil changes to learning how to work on engines and more. Well after the help of many people here I was able to get the top end of my 3VZE rebuilt and upgraded, then came sliders, headers, and the list goes on.

Well I successfully got her running and she became a reliable, and California legal street worthy truck! After completing this I moved on and started to go on some fire access roads and basic dirt trails. Well the itch got bigger, and I felt the need for more camping, expedition, and eventually some rocks!

Well I'm nowhere near ready for a SAS, or dual lockers, etc etc, but this past weekend a group of my friends and I finally made it to Big Bear where I was able to take my truck up through Gold Mountain. Not only was this the crowning moment of my hard work with my Yota, but also my first real offroading trip! WHAT A BLAST I had!

Things Learned:
Accelerator control is important!
It's more about the light touch than having the HP and Hammering it!
Lockers REALLY are a helper.....and on my list for sure now!
The offroading community is incredibly friendly and helpful!
The stock skid can take a HIT and "bounce" right back!!!
Windows up during water crossings!!! (This IS optional of course)
Learning the proper names and terms of the trails so you don't sound like a TOOL at the start of your videos will be beneficial for the future!

Carnage:
Power Steering Belt (should have replaced this anyways before hand oops!
Front right tire sidewall ruptured during the drive home!

The Video
Well my friends filmed some of the trip and one of them took the time to whip this up really quickly. Obviously I have a lot too learn, and more time on the trails is needed! I think I can handle both of those! I hope everyone enjoys and again Thank You Corey, Staff, and everyone who helped me throughout my time on here! I look forward to spending much more time here and enjoying myself much more on the trails!

[YOUTUBE]BJIRL_99jfw[/YOUTUBE]

Edit: Not sure why the video is showing up twice....

Last edited by Morphine; 07-22-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Moved to correct section.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That`s a nice video, besides lockers, think about getting duel cases when you can afford to, it will make it easier to crawl over rocks and what ever with out having to work the gas and clutch so much.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome truck man. I too came on here to learn some new things and I already have learned alot in the few weeks I've been here.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:09 AM

@ocdropzone - Sorry for posting in the wrong forum sub-section. I was just trying to thank those who had helped and provided guidance along the way. The video was just to show the outcome and not so much showcase the actual trail. I understand the forum move so no worries, it wont happen again!

@myyota Thanks, my budy just threw it together real quick so I could show my lady since it was a "guys only" trip. I'll look into the dual cases, but to be honest that's quite a bit above my knowledge and full understanding at the moment. Locker's on the other hand and a good winch, armor, etc I'm already in full research mode on!

@Crimson Yota - Thanks! She's my baby hahaha. I've been a lurker/member here for a while and can honestly say that this board has been the most knowledgeable and helpful from a n00bs stance. I've seen other forums that bash those who didn't know everything, where as I came here and was greeted with open arms and a helpful attitude.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks fun. What video camera you using?
Old 07-24-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
Looks fun. What video camera you using?
He was using a Sony XR200 I believe.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
the first real wheeling trip is always a life changer. Im sure now thoughts of wheeling takes up half your day.

keep the vids coming, we love em
Old 07-25-2010, 04:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not so much skinny pedal, that's how you break things.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
nice truck and nice video. Lockers will be your favorite mod when you get them. Just in the rear you'll go places you never thought possible.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:11 AM

Yeah wheeling has taken over my thoughts......but I need to focus for the next 10 days on work, then it's back to my truck. I already have planned to throw in the 4.88 gears that I've had in my garage for the last 2 years. Now I'm considering an Aussie locker at the same time. My buddies who went wheeling with me, only one has an off-road vehicle, The jeep you saw in some of the shots. Now my friends have the bug and all want to buy vehicles to wheel!

I'm hoping the 4.88 gears will help my fascination with the skinny pedal....since on road I always seem to need a bit more to get going. Otherwise I will need to LEARN how to manage my lead foot!

As my buddies get their rigs either bought or built I'm sure more trips and videos will be coming. Thanks everyone for the comments!
Old 07-26-2010, 12:26 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Lockers and gears have been some of the best mods I've done yet. I can't think of any other mods I've done that gave increased performance on the trail. They've allowed me to not have to burn clutch and I can just idle up stuff at 1k-1500 RPMS. Not only that but I can take almost any line I want. The only thing holding me back is tire size/ clearance under the differential. Not trying to brag and thread jack.. Just letting you know lockers and gears are where it's at.

Also, try airing down your tires a bit more. It honestly looked like you were at street pressure. When I'm on the rocks I run 12/14. R/F

Hope to see you up in Big bear some time. The trails up there are some of my fave!

Old 07-26-2010, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great video, thanks gor sharing! I think you did great! My yota is a daily driver, and I too came to this site to learn more, etc. I look forward to being able to post my first video! Thanks again!
Old 08-09-2010, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats a some what of a difficult trail to run. mad props! ran the same one about 2 years ago in the winter. had about a foot of snow on the ground. it smoothed out the jagged rocks but made everything slippery. we made it through with open diffs and 4 wheel chains. if you have chains I definitely suggest that challenge. ( check the weather first ) don't wanna get stuck in 3 feet of powder.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:51 PM

Nice to see you are still around Charles, haven't seen or heard from you in over a year! Glad to see you still have the Yota up and running...

Also, whats with you and bad tires?! Everything ok after the rupture?

Last edited by MorphiasX; 08-12-2010 at 07:53 PM.