Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Graeagle CA

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Graeagle CA

I just got back from an awesome wheeling trip up in graeagle. This was the first time I used my locker since it broke, and man is it a good feeling when it's engaged. I also got to show off my new tire carrier from CBI off. Heres a few pictures taken at Sand Pond, near Sardine Lake.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice we need another nocal run
Old 06-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

let's organize it, how about gold valley, have you been up there?
Old 06-15-2007, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by CLEANSR5
let's organize it, how about gold valley, have you been up there?
no i have'nt got out much since i moved here but i'm down to go
Old 06-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

i saw the pictures of your backyard, looks like you got some good wheeling in your property
Old 06-15-2007, 04:02 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
YES!!! more norcal runs before i move!!
Old 06-16-2007, 07:05 AM

i saw the pictures of your backyard, looks like you got some good wheeling in your property
yea i moved but there are some fun trails out there , ever been to greenhorn?
Old 06-16-2007, 08:12 AM

wow theres nothing like that in florida. Just the scenery alone is awesome.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

its this easy: come to norcal
greenhorn? nah, haven't even heard of it, is it around grass valley/nevada city?
Old 06-16-2007, 11:37 AM

its this easy: come to norcal
greenhorn? nah, haven't even heard of it, is it around grass valley/nevada city?
yea its a big river bed with trails for miles , sand rocks and water are all there
Old 06-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
lets go!!
Old 06-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

well maybe we could get a run organized for the end of july?
Old 06-18-2007, 12:41 PM

That looks like an awesome trail. How difficult is it, and how long does it take to run? Is it accessed via Sardine Lakes Rd.?

I'll be up there on August 4-5, running the Gold Valley trail. I was thinking of running the Sierra Buttes trail, since the group I'll be with will have some stock vehicles, but it would be nice to have an alternative trail for more equipped rigs.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by XPLORx4
That looks like an awesome trail. How difficult is it, and how long does it take to run? Is it accessed via Sardine Lakes Rd.?

I'll be up there on August 4-5, running the Gold Valley trail. I was thinking of running the Sierra Buttes trail, since the group I'll be with will have some stock vehicles, but it would be nice to have an alternative trail for more equipped rigs.
The area up there is beautiful...most trails in the area are stock vehicle capable. Gold Valley, Gold Lake, Deer Lake, Little Deer Lake, Sierra Buttes and Sardine Lake are all trails that are stock friendly (with a couple spots where you may want to be careful). I did most of those in a stock '03 Taco D-cab with running boards (ok ...I got one teeny tiny bend in a running board at the top of Sardine).

Snake Lake is the tough one up there. It's a short 3/4 mile trail but it's steep. If you have some protection and low gears you'll make it down the trail as gravity is your friend, but going up, it's very difficult, especially towards the top. I've only run it going down, but would guess you'll need to be locked front and rear with good clearance, gears and protection going up. Even then there is one good sized ledge that may require winching.

As for your ? Sardine Lake road ends at upper Sardine Lake. It's only about a mile long and for the most part is relatively easy. Few rocks at the top you have to watch out for but nothing a stock cruiser couldn't navigate. Sierra Buttes is stock friendly, just a narrow steep, loose dirt shelf road that climbs and climbs until you hit the base of the look out.

IMHO, best camping is at Gold Lake 4x4 campgrounds. There is other spots all over the place up there...so there is many to choose from.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the reply. I've run Gold Valley and Sierra Buttes several times before. They're really great trails, and the short hike up to the SB lookout is outstanding.

I've only done Snake Lake (downhill) once (pic here), and it was a severe pucker-factor experience, since on that ledge you mentioned, one of those sharp rocks blew out my front right tire, and I had to drive down that obstacle in order to get to a safe place to change the tire (click for pic). That experience sorta scared me away doing from that particular trail again.

This year, I was hoping to find a trail that's somewhere in-between Gold Valley (easy) and Snake Lake (difficult) as far as difficulty rating. If the region were closer to me, I would scout out the trails better, but I really only get up to that area once a year. It sounds like Sardine Lake trail might be a short fun trip to take after we descend from Sierra Buttes (probably around 1 or 2pm). What do you think?

Thanks.

Last edited by XPLORx4; 06-19-2007 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:25 AM

Your welcome...Sardine Lake trail is still pretty easy, but it's is fun and it's nice to see the Buttes from the below side especially after being at the top...not to mention it's quite scenic. I'm jealous now...I need to get up there this summer.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:10 AM
Contributing Member

anybody want to do the gold valley run in early august? Maybe the 3rd through the 6th? We could meet at the boat launch ramp, which is the trailhead around 9:30 in the morning, wheel through the weekend?
Old 07-17-2007, 06:51 AM

^ i have to work sat but i can meet up on sunday